Update on Chestnut Trees

5 tress are sprouting leaves. 3 other trees look like they are alive, but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

What is it? State surplus auction has a "something" they labeled as woodworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image on page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to what it actually is.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Looks like a pile of medical, perhaps OR, equipment to me.

Reply to
krw

Sonny on Fri, 6 Mar 2020 20:03:36 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Without a closer examination, to me it looks like it could be a paper "guillotine" for cutting paper to size, cleaning up the edges of textblocks, or similar.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Looks like a nice Browne and Boggs shear with infeed and outfeed tables. Might not be a B&B - but definitely a sheet metal shear - foot operated.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Close - it's a sheet metal shear

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I had decided it was more likely sheet metal related than wood related because I couldn't see foot pressure doing much to a sheet of wood - but I really want to see the backside and under the deck ;-)

On second thought, the wood decks make it more likely to be a paper cutter than a sheet metal tool.

Couldn't find the exact one, but here are a few samples :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

but no sprouting leaves, yet. Couldn't find 2 other trees... cows probably trampled them.

odworking equipment. Looks similar to an old school desk.... top image o n page 117. Not uncommon for them to mislabel stuff. I'm curious as to wh at it actually is.

The only backside pic is on page 116, the previous pic, but the image is at a distance. Can't see anything close up. Sheet metal shear is likely co rrect. Could have used it a few months ago when making copper hinges. Wen t to a local metal shop and they cut and bent the 4 strips for $20. Two 16 " "piano" hinges were made. The hinges pins are #4 (or #6, can't recall) c opper wire. Worked out pretty well.

/

As to the shear machine, the cast iron legs caught my eye. I wonder if th ey could be re-purposed for making a stand for a foot-petal 20" grinding st one. I like old tools and have the stone, but no petal-stand apparatus.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Clare Snyder on Sat, 07 Mar 2020 04:17:05 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

That was my second guess. That or a sheet metal break.

Shows you what I have as a major interest, and it isn't sheet metal work B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

My thinking as well. Sheet metal will gouge up that wood - eventually.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

My STRONG suspicion is it was used for cutting lithiograph plates for printing - the infeed and outfeed tables would prevent buckling of the plate

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I COULD take a picture of the one out at "the hangar"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or, at least part of one. I'm not seeing any foot pedal, there should be an air or hydraulic system to operate it.

Reply to
whit3rd

On the previous pic, page 116, the tool is in the background, a view of the opposite side. Enlarge the image and it appears there is a foot petal.

Run your cursor over the right bottom corner of the page and an enlarging tab appears.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The peda lis there on the back