Unisaw Switch Update

-------------------------------

Yeah, I'm familiar with that policy. We thought there may be a chance of getting some refund, as per the electrician's phone call. Jonas didn't get any refund, after all. Oh well, a $50 lesson learned.... not a bad cost.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well, the electrician may still be a little off, if a load on the saw requires increasing the wiring and breaker size. His assessment, of amp draw and overall sufficiency of the system, was based on the non- loaded running of the saw.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

According to manufacturing spec, my 3HP Unisaw should run fine on

220/20A with 12g wire, and apparently most of them do.

I ran it without issue on a 20A/10ga dedicated circuit for years until I moved it to another shop location for a couple of years and initially tried to run it (using the exact same c'bkr I brought with me) on a

20A/12ga dedicated circtuit (with about +/-5' more distance to the sub-panel).

In the new location the saw would periodically trip the circuit breaker (and occasionally the thermal overload button on the motor would pop, which had never happened before).

I rewired that approximately 5' longer home run with 10ga wire and never had another problem in that shop. Length of home run in both cases was between 20 - 25' max.

Lots of variables to take into consideration here, but one would think that a small increase in distance, that was under 50' to start with, coupled with a smaller wire size, wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it obviously did with this particular saw.

IOW, and for whatever reason, not flirting too close to the maximum circuit capacity with equipment like a table saw can often save some needless frustration.

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

The charge was $85 for the electrician's work. It took less than an hour and two guys showed up, whereas only one guy was spoken to and hired at the supply house. I suppose they worked as a team and the other guy wasn't in the supply house when we spoke.

A reasonable job was performed and this cost was well worth the peace of mind, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That's a reasonable price. I don't know what part of the country. But here in NJ that would just cover a visit, with no work.

Reply to
tiredofspam

And that has been my experience as well.

Max

Reply to
Max