Ultimate sawhorse

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things and came across this design:

plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better design

Reply to
Limp Arbor

On 1/4/2012 8:28 AM, Limp Arbor wrote: ...

What's to plan? Cut a notch, bolt legs together, done...

--

Reply to
dpb

The guy obviously spent a lot of time on the design and making the video & website and is trying to make a few extra bucks. I just downloaded the plans for $5 and they are well done. Step-by-step instructions with pictures and cutout templates for the notches.

I would have gone through at least two 2x4s trying to duplicate them so why not reward somebody for a great idea at a fair price?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I like to be thorough but 18 pages to build a saw horse? I would hate to see his plans for a chest of drawers.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Limp Arbor wrote the following:

I have the plastic folding kind. Lighter than wood and can be stored away in less space.

Reply to
willshak

Wouldn't a "measured set of drawings" (copyright Norm) be more than sufficient for that thing?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Why? That's what cardboard or some other trash material is for.

Sure, they're a pretty nice idea but nothing that really takes any serious amount of plans for. If you want the plans, for it (I gather you already did) and I've nothing against the guy for trying...

It does seem like a lot of effort for $5, though... :)

Reply to
dpb

The guy obviously spent a lot of time on the design and making the video & website and is trying to make a few extra bucks. I just downloaded the plans for $5 and they are well done. Step-by-step instructions with pictures and cutout templates for the notches.

I would have gone through at least two 2x4s trying to duplicate them so why not reward somebody for a great idea at a fair price? ========================================================== One thing that I have never seen on a sawhorse that they should all have. An adjustable leg. A tripod will sit solidly on uneven ground. Four legs are likely to rock. Make one leg adjustable to take care of that problem.

Reply to
CW

CW wrote the following:

Cut one leg off. :-)

Reply to
willshak

That's what "everybody" has that Cat w/ the 'dozer blade for, isn't it? Make a flat spot for the sawhorse... :)

Reply to
dpb

-------------------------------- Break out the design Morris posted some time ago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I knew I'd seen at least one that had the feature--that's probably it.

Too bad Morris isn't around much any more; was always interesting stuff...

--

Reply to
dpb

Neat idea, you have to give him an 'A' for effort. Now if he eliminates the bending down to fasten a strap thing to something reachable *while standing* then I'll give him an 'A+'.

John

Reply to
John

On 1/4/2012 5:26 PM, John wrote: ...

Yeah, the weakness in that design is that the legs have to be held together to hold the crosspiece in place--they want to go the wrong way under load.

The switchable tops is kinda' a neat feature, though, I'll grant him that.

Reply to
dpb

What all comes with it? It looks like a wooden tabletop and two clamps with rollers. Are there brackets attached to the bottom of that table, or does it just screw to your sacrificial tubafore? Yeah, that looks handy even without a Jawhorse.

I hope you're doing that as a tribute to the designer.

I've been pretty happy with the little plastic foldup jobs from Chiwan. I think they were $17 for the pair. I added a tubafore up top.

-- In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What all comes with it? It looks like a wooden tabletop and two clamps with rollers. Are there brackets attached to the bottom of that table, or does it just screw to your sacrificial tubafore? Yeah, that looks handy even without a Jawhorse. ================================================================== Take a look:

CW

I'm going to make sure everything it straight and square, not crooked.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Let's see, what else do I need in Medford...

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.

I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension is on the strap.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way they are. I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. Maybe they need to be that way because they splay out...

Reply to
Limp Arbor

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I have seen folding tables that are meant to be used inside with a short leg and a bolt running into the bottom for adjustability. Obviously that wouldn't work on dirt.

Reply to
Limp Arbor