Turp vs. Thinner for Varnish?

Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple kitchen cabinets).

Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Befumo

Between the two, I prefer the turpentine - as long as I'm going to use a slow evaporating agent, I like the smell of turps better. You might consider using VMP Naptha for a faster evaporating thinner - which is what I go with 95% of the time. Faster thinner evap may lessen the dust nibs.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Joe Befumo wrote: > Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for > thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple > kitchen cabinets).

SFWIW, the can of BLO I bought tells you to cut the BLO with turps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Joe Befumo wrote: : Any thoughts on the relative merits of turpentine versus paint thinnner for : thinning a mixture of Tung Oil and Varnish? (Application is to new maple : kitchen cabinets).

I once compared tung oil cut with the two, and it seemed that the mix with turpentine (the real stuff) built to a sheen much fastere than the stuff cut with mineral spirits. I've heard the same from a couple of other people.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Thanks for the great advice! Turps it is.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Befumo