TS w/ inboard motor mount - drawbacks?

I have been doing my research before a TS purchase. I am in the contractor's saw catagory. I think that the Jet (JF10) and Dewalt (DW746) have "inboard" motor mounts instead of the motor hanging out the back -- and I've read favorable comments about the space-saving. But, is there a downside to this design? Are they belt driven or direct drive? Is it harder to change the blades? Difference in precision? Dust collection?

Also, what about distance blade can be raised? That is an important detail for me.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
CB

Cabinet saws have their motor "inboard" and there is no problem with them. The saws will be a belt drive for a contractor saw. Some of the cheaper saws have direct drive. Personally, I consider the inboard motor a plus.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Igor asks:

OK. Do it.

Have a frigging blast.

Charlie Self

`I don't care how little your country is, you got a right to run it like you want to. When the big nations quit meddling then the world will have peace.' Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have the Jet Supersaw - the contractor hybrid. Charlie's correct - the fence that comes with it is the fence you'll have for a long, long time. So far, there are no aftermarket replacements. I don't know if the DeWalt 746 is in the same situation, but I'd bet it is. You can check by scanning some fence mfg sites.

Blade height on mine is about 3 1/8", just as Charlie said.

I consider mine a decent compromise saw. Had I had 240V and $2K, I'd have a Unisaw. I didn't so I don't. And in my current shop setup - that foot of space saving helps me out.

Personally, I think the Jet is a smidge better than the DeWalt. (Except for the PITA timing belt that I changed this weekend! Jet Engineering - WTF were you smoking when you designed that???)

But admittedly, after using it for 9 months - it's not $300 better than a Jet Contractor's saw. Let's just say, I "rushed in" to the purchase and should'a done a little more homework.

Reply to
tnfkajs

tnfkajs responds:

It comes without a fence so you can buy their 52" fence. Table design prevents the use of any other I know of. It's probably not impossible, but as I told OP, "Have a blast."

My basic difficulty with these saws is the price. They're essentially cobbled up contractor's saws with a foot less depth. The price is up 40% for that, and a 1/4 HP (claimed).

I don't think I'd bother.