TS keeps popping circuit

There are roughly 11 million illegal aliens in the US, who's gonna know. ;)

Reply to
Meanie

You haven't provided enough information. The breaker protects the wiring and any attached devices (e.g. receptacles).

What AWG is the wire from the breaker to the receptacle for the table saw? Is the receptacle rated for 20A?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

aker to 20 amps? TS is tripping when ripping 6/4 maple.

The simple truth is, you need to rewire your shop and have, at the minimum, two 20amp breakers and all 12ga wire. If that means putting in a new bre aker box, its not all that expensive, especially when compared to either bu rning out the motor on your saw or burning the house down.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

reaker to 20 amps? TS is tripping when ripping 6/4 maple.

m, two 20amp breakers and all 12ga wire. If that means putting in a new b reaker box, its not all that expensive, especially when compared to either burning out the motor on your saw or burning the house down.

A dedicated 15A lighting circuit is a requirement in my opinion. 20A if you like, but certainly not necessary. IMO it's the dedicated part that is most important. Plunging the shop into darkness when a power tool trips the breaker isn't safe.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
G. Ross

Has it always tripped easily? How old is the breaker? They do age. I have had to replace a couple in the past that started tripping easily. Not to negate the advice others have given.

Reply to
G. Ross

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:o4hnhv$9au$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

There's a bit of fuzzy understanding in these statements. The gauge of wire required is a function of both the current drawn (i.e. horsepower of the motor) and the length of the wire. 4 feet of 14 gauge to a 1hp motor is fine, 40 feet of

14 gauge is not.

In this case the OP wants to run a 20A circuit of some considerable length (we don't know how far, but breaker panel to basement is likely to be on the order of 40 or more feet). A 20A circuit of that length needs 12 gauge, regardless of what's on the end of it.

From the OP's comments, the saw runs OK on lighter cuts, it just trips with the 6/4 lumber. That says there is no short or other problem in the circuit, it simply needs more current for the thicker wood.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

14 gauge on a 20A breaker is not.

A 20A circuit of *any* length requires 12ga (or larger), no matter what's on the end of it. Period.

Reply to
krw

AWG 12 to the receptacle then AWG 14 from the receptacle to the saw _is_.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sure but that was not what was said.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How now? How else would you read "4 feet to a 1hp motor is fine"?

I'm beginning to think "that was not what was said" has become a code for "I didn't actually read what I'm responding to" (not to pick on krw, I'm seeing people in other forums use the same excuse).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

How abou tthe 40 feet from the box to the outlet?

Open your eyes.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Which I said 14ga was not suitable for.

Aha, here's the other code - the one that means "I know I'm wrong, so I'll just pretend the other guy isn't paying attention".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Good Lord, you're an asshole.

Reply to
krw

I would like to know what is going on with the voltage. If you have 120 volts and it drops to say 90 volts when you cut the maple you have a problem and changing a breaker is not the fix.

Reply to
Mark H

V = IR?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The power wires between the saw and the socket might be to light. Simple as that. Or - the power wires to the socket from the breaker is to small in diameter and out of spec. Might be a spliced one with other service tied on to it.

What is the HP of the saw ?

Mart> >> I have one 15-amp circuit serving my basement shop. Can I switch the breaker to 20 amps? TS is tripping when ripping 6/4 maple.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn