Trying to square a 4x4 piece of hard maple

Kerry Montgomery wrote: ...

Actually, not sure if anybody makes one now, but in the early 70s-80s time frame Delta introduced precisely that....unfortunately, I can't even recall at the moment what it was they called it. It didn't make a big hit and didn't last very long. I saw one in an auction list not terribly long ago but don't have a link at the moment, sorry...

Maybe one of the other oldtimers will recall them. If I get some time I'll try to find one of the old catalogs or do a google and see if can find any links to the past...

Never owned one, did get chance to use one once't. Handy and useful but not indispensible, obviously. IIRC, the cutter head cutting radius was about 8" or less. It used a set of inset knives on a surface plate and was able to joint very tiny and thin pieces that couldn't be considered on a normal jointer since there was a support plate behind the knives instead of the open gap on a jointer table.

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, there is one at the OWWM site...they were the "Uniplane"...

Reply to
dpb

Well, I did manage to get things so that they are square within about

1/32-->1/16 of an inch which is close enough for what I'm doing. I was pushing the piece against the fence and not the table, and eventually, with a lot of work, got 3 legs done. I need to invest in a bigger, better jointer for projects this size.

Thank you all for all the help.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

jtpr wrote: ...

Did you try the test on a couple pieces of (say), 4x4 pine (could even build it up out of a couple scrap tubafor for the purpose) to check on the accuracy of the jointer/fence setup? Should be much easier to machine and two placed facing each other on the flat surface of the saw table or similar should match precisely or show double the error...

If that doesn't work well, then the setup just isn't right (or the fence moves or something...)

--

Reply to
dpb

Nope, but you've obviously not used one. If the first side is jointed straight, the second parallel side will always come out parallel and straight.

The third side is a repeat of the first, using the jointer, and the

4th side then also comes out parallel and straight - and if the third edge is jointed square, which is not difficult, the whole part will be "square" - could be a rectangle, but 2 sets of sides will be equall, and all corners will be 90 degree (or VERY close)
Reply to
clare

No, actually it works very well - and is quite simple. A Kreg router table and fence is a joy to work on - and it's not terribly hard to make your own that will work just as well. The long cutter is the hardest part to locate. (or make)

Reply to
clare

You talking about a veneer jointer?

Reply to
clare

A different animal than I was thinking of.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

No, the Rockwell/Delta "Uniplane" -- posted link to pich'urs at OWWM in followup...

--

Reply to
dpb

I believe you're referring to the Uniplane.

Larry W

All the deli counters have them for the cold cuts.

Josepi

All the deli counters have them for the cold cuts.

Josepi

You have to hold it tight to the fence and let the cutter cut off the bottom.

It would be nice to have a sliding fence so you could clamp it tight.

With only a joiner - you have 1 true edge and three held to the fence trying to cut the bottom to match a 90 of the fence.

A planner is handy to make two sided parallel.

Mart> How would you square up the sides to the top/bottom, though? I have seen

Reply to
Martin Eastburn