Trip to St Louis: WWing places I should see?

I'll be visiting St. Louis on business this weekend. Not sure I'll have any playtime, but if so I'd like to visit some decent used tool shops, or something else of interest to WWers. Any suggestions?

Thanks, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

I have been to a Rockler store there. If they don't have one where you live, you could check that out. It is in St. Charles which is just west of the airport. You could call them to get exact directions but it isn't hard to find.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

They have a Woodcraft too, it's on Olive.

Reply to
Mike S.

If you have time you should take in the St. Louis art museum. They have a great collection of antique and modern furniture, some of it in period rooms. Definitely worth your time.

Reply to
Nemo

It's on St. Charles Rock Road, not actually in St. Charles.

places-

Hibdon Hardwood Inc.:

Charles Hardwoods:
Wood & Shop:
Louis Hardwoods:

Joe Wells

|If you have time you should take in the St. Louis art museum. They |have a great collection of antique and modern furniture, some of it in |period rooms. Definitely worth your time.

I second this. SWMBO and I visited St. Louis in our RV this past summer. The only RV park near town is right downtown and didn't sound like a place we wanted to stay so we parked 60 miles away at a state park and drove to the city on a one day excursion.

After visiting Forest Park, SWMBO said that on our return trip home she wanted to come back. We did and this time parked downtown. We spent two days at the park visiting museums, taking in outdoor concerts, etc. The park is gorgeous.

One thing that truly baffled us though is the almost total lack of toilet facilities other than those in the various buildings. If you're walking the grounds, you're---excuse the pun---shit outta luck. We found two crappers (aptly named) and they were filthier that some I've seen in Mexican bars.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Has nothing to do with wood working, but you must eat at White Castle's and you must have frozen custard at Ted Drewe's O.

Reply to
Oregon

Can't comment on D Drewe's but if you haven't been to a White Castle, and eaten at least a dozen "sliders", at one sitting, you are doomed to be a CANDY ASS the rest of your life.

Screw the diet, the carbs, and anything else you have heard bad things about.

The food police have no jurisdiction at a White Castle.

"Sliders", a greasy hamburger with sautéed onions about the size of a $0.50 piece, are a throw back to a kinder gentler time. Don't let it escape you.

BTW, check out St Charles, a St Louis suburb, it's where the build your own tool company is located. Can't remember the name of the Company right now.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Screw Ted Drew's (closes in the winter/what's up with that?) and White Castle. I'll opt out for a Lion's Choice (extra season salt please) or two or three Imo's pizzas (in one sitting) any day. OK, just about any pizza place in St. Louis beats all the best of anywhere else combined. You see, it's the cheese (1).

That would be Gilliom. They were once upon a time on (actually slightly off) 94 up near the I-70/94 interchange. I'm not sure where they are today and 94 has changed enough that I'm not sure I could ever find it again.

(1) Little known factoid. The cheese (Provel (2)) is made in sWisconsin but you can't get it there. In fact, we buy it (in St. Louis) and bring it back to the cheese state. No really, we do.

(2) It's a blend of cheddar, mozzarella and swiss. Really good on a salad with the house dressing (3).

(3) The typical house dressing is Italian with some sugar added. Something else we bring back.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

One thing you got to watch about them White Castle's is that they give you a tremendous amount of Gas!! Stay away from an open flame!!

Reply to
Dave