Tool Handle finish

We've got a few outdoor/garden tools (like a snow shovel that's older than I am) that need a new finish on the handles. What would be the best thing to use for this?

Being outdoor tools, they sometimes get left outside or otherwise abused, so the finish needs to stand up to this.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My dad always rubbed boiled linseed oil on handles once or twice a year since I was a kid. Sometimes we mixed it with a little gasoline or kerosene. The majority of them are still ready to be used at his house. I'm 50. Now I do the same with mine.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Spar varnish? That's what we used to put on snow shovels when I was still living in the Northern Hemisphere. Same for the rakes. My shovels and spades don't get any; they get used, washed, put away in the barn and that's it. Worn smooth with use, I don't want them slippery in any way.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

BLO

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I soak such handles in mineral oil occasionally. I sometimes use spar varnish or a polyurethane over that, but not always as the tools are rarely left outside for long.

Reply to
DGDevin

Peter Huebner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

It's more an issue of friction than slip (yeah, they're two ends of the same spectrum). Oars are made with a beautiful spar varnish finish - except on the hand grips, which are left as bare wood. Nothing will raise blisters faster than chafing against a glossy varnished finish.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

I use whatever is in a used can or finishes nearing disposal. Paint, BLO, varnish are all good choices. Grease on the iron parts helps prevent rust. Leaving tools outdoors will certainly shorten their life.

Reply to
Phisherman

I use spray can epoxy on our kitchen (tools) with wood handles. They do fine going through the dishwasher. no problem. WW

Reply to
WW

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BLO seems to be the most common suggestion, so I'll give that a try. I think we've got a can somewhere.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
luigirecnorm

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I also use BLO, but I put it in 2" black ABS (sewer) pipe capped at one end, held vertically. I put the handles in to soak for a couple of days, then wipe off & let them dry. don't leave them in too long, otherwise you will get linseed oil blisters coming out for the next few years. DAMHIKT

Luigi

Reply to
luigirecnorm

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v5g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

I got some BLO, and read the directions... They suggested applying the BLO, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes and wiping it off. That's what I did on a ice chipper (now an ice shaver, but that's another story) where the finish had completely worn off.

After waiting the suggested 12 hours, the handle looks great and doesn't feel excessively oily. Tomorrow, it probably won't feel oily at all.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper