Tool Descriptions

Jack wrote:

I haven't checked, but I doubt Home Depot will ship it to your house for 48 cents.

Last I knew, Home Depot has a minimum purchase amount before you get free shipping. I think it's $35, but it might have changed. They will, however, ship to store for free.
I'm going to give the ship to store thing a try soon, I'm just waiting for when I know I'll be near my local store.
Puckdropper
On 5/8/17 9:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've used this service on occasion.
Best "result" was ordering a box of ceiling tiles (special order only). HD had them cheaper then anyone else, free shipping to the store.
The tiles were a full box order, a bit larger than a typical office "file" box. When I picked it up, it was saran wrapped to a mini pallet. The pallet was completely new/unused 2'x2' with no gaps between the top slats, oak, staples not nails, some QS boards. They gladly used a fork lift to place the pallet and tiles into the back of my truck (total weight of maybe 50 pounds).
I gave a 4-star review for the packaging....
-BR

So? Most of us live close enough to a Home Depot that it's no burden to drop in and pick one up. Of course if you live in the boondocks . . .

Amazon prices aren't really much better than the local stores anymore. Sometimes they aren't as good.
On 5/9/2017 6:36 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Their prices, excluding shipping, should ALWAYS be better than local stores. They have almost no overhead compared to say, Home Depot, that has a couple thousand large stores filled with employee's, thieves and so on. Now, they seem to be just a sales outlet for every Tom, DICK and Harry who rip you off on price or shipping or most likely, both.
I once bought a lathe chuck from Amazon. I looked around a little first, but trusted Amazon at the time. When I got it, turned out it was in a Harbor Freight box. Looked up the HF number on the box, and there it was, about $4 cheaper, but about $9 cheaper including shipping. Still, I didn't mind too much, but that was a good while ago. Now, it seems way too often the prices are in multiples of 2, 3 and more of what can be easily found elsewhere. Stupid pricing really and one would be best not trusting them at all.
--
Jack
On 5/3/2017 3:22 PM, Bill wrote:

If I'm painting (or doing most anything else around the house) I have a 5-in-1 tool handy. The handle provides plenty of leverage, the square corner fits easily under a can lid to pop it without chewing it up.
http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/how_to_use_a_5-in-1_painting_tool
I like to keep the two beveled edges and the point quite sharp.
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:49:27 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:

+1 for the Five in One. Can't live without it when painting/prepping-- I also keep one in my 'general' tool box and it tends to be in my pocket on most jobs, regardless of whether I'm finishing or tinkering.
On the other hand, the alleged "paint can opener" is only good for the church key!
Slainte.
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 1:05:47 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

under

ay, 'Oh

I always seem to see a lot of these, and amazingly, they all seem to be a l ittle different. And as someone that uses tools for a living, I laugh out loud at how true these things can be.
A couple of months ago I chucked up a stiff wire wheel to clean heavy rust of a couple of tools that were out in the rain, then spent a month in the r ain. Leaning over to really mash hard on teh drill, my shirt drooped over the drill/wheel, and it almost pulled my shirt off! As it was, it took a w ad of shirt that was about 10" across completely off the shirt.
Had to listen to it all day long. "Hey Robert. you want me to do that? Ne xt time you might not get out of the way" and "Robert, if you need me to he lp you figure out how that operation works, let me know... I am available f or drill lessons" etc. For me, I was a little stunned, a little surprised, and a lot embarrassed! (Did I mention I had to hear about the hole in my shirt and re-tell the tale all day long?)

I have several clients that have come to that realization. God bless 'em!
Robert
On Wed, 3 May 2017 14:48:29 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

So are you adding an extra shirt to the things you now carry to the job? You know just in case it rains.

the important question..... does the hole in your shirt make your butt loo too big? :~)
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Did you mean my <gut>? Too late on that one.
Got a good chuckle out of that.
Robert

No way! ;-)
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:48:35 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

e drill/wheel, and it almost pulled my shirt off! As it was, it took a wad of shirt that was about 10" across completely off the shirt.

Similarly, doing a few chores at Mom's, the disc sander ripped a hole in th e belly of my T-shirt. Later, my brother came over and reminded me that Wa lmart sells T-shirts, as if I only had torn shirts to wear. I told him th at some of us, in this red neck of the woods, distinguish between our work T-shirts and our dress T-shirts.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Ha! : )