Too Freak'en cold

Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Reply to
Stoutman

Love your web site. What do I need to do one similar of my workshop?

Also, speaking of cold, I'm in Colorado. It's not only cold today but the wind is howling. My two propane heaters barely make it bearable. The noise is a nuisance, though.

My philosophy: cold winters make you appreciate the summer. I spent some time in Sweden and they share that philosophy big time....

In fact speaking of Sweden, I may be (50% chance) assigned to Stockholm for three years startring in April. That means my shop will sit idle for that period. I may buy a mini-lathe to take with me, though. Depsite my loss of the workshop for three years, I'm actually excited about the assignment -- Swedish lessons on Saturdays. Apartment near the Baltic -- maybe buy kayaks or sail boats. Work my buttocks off the rest of the time at work (there's a promotion involved but with that promotion comes a bunch of work).

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Thank you. I used Microsoft's FrontPage to make and publish my website.

Propane heaters, that's what I need!

-Congratulations on the promotion!

Reply to
Stoutman

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up. Geez, it's gonna cost $10 to heat the place today and today is supposed to be the "warmest" day for the next few. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Here in Chicago it is the same, heavily blowing winds with a wind chill of -15 at 2pm. It is so cold my kerosene heater is not working so no woodworking done today. They said sometime next week we should be in the single digits, but then I big warmup to the 20's next weekend. WOO HOO!

Reply to
Jon

I have a smallish shop at one end of the garage with a second garage door separating them. When we first moved here (SoCal mountains) I had a portable electric heater that I would put on the workbench. The glue bottle had a place in front of it and I tried to do as much assembly work there as possible. Then, hallelujah, I saw the light and got a Reznor gas heater. Zero dF outside, 60dF inside. I get all excited just thinking about it. weirdly, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Ditto ... although it's probably warm here by comparison (low 50's in the sun). I did some "CAD woodworking" this morning (better than nothing) then went out twice, but the residual cold in the shop from the 30's last night just made it too uncomfortable to stay long.

Managed to put down a few layout marks before I quit and came back in to warm myself up with an eternal wRec argument, or two ... can't wait for those productive high 90's again! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

LOL... I have been "going to work" out in the shop all week. Had good intentions of doing it today and yet I sit here typing with cold hands.

Reply to
Leon

I have a heater, but still won't be out in the shop for the next week or so. The heater is not enough once it gets below about 20F and after tomorrow, it will not get that high al week.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Re: Subject

Found it necessary to return to Northern Ohio last week.

As I stepped off the plane and my senses got hit with 17F weather, I remembered why I left.

During my stay, night time temps of 0F and wind chills of -10F were common along with 12"-15" of snow in the "Snow Belt", east of Cleveland.

Oh well, at least the ground hog didn't see his shadow.

Maybe it will be warmer my next trip back.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I managed to get about four hours shop time in yesterday despite being a bit too chilly for my taste.

Cutting panels too long for the shop to size, but finding a way ... you _can_ cut 61" long x 17" wide panels, to width, on a UniGuard equipped Unisaw, with a BIG panel sled, a couple of screws, and a whole lotta 'no-other-choice'.

Then, standing on a ladder looking/feeling like an Eskimo on a popsicle stick, to use the Leigh D4 jig (which was stacked atop a tottering, throw-up tower) to cut 'through dovetails' in four ends of those same 61" long panels.

... nice to be making sawdust on your own account for a change, even if it was full of chilly challenges. :)

Supposed to be 60 and sunny tomorrow ... perfect shop weather!

... and it figures that I have to hold an open house!

Reply to
Swingman
28 degrees here just north of NYC, basement shop maybe 10 degrees warmer. Quartz heater on. I see your cold front's heading this way. I have a huge box full of unsorted fasteners that I think I'll be sorting -- in front of the fireplace in the living room! -- tomorrow. :-)

J.

Stoutman wrote:

Reply to
J.

here in Minnee so ta we hit a high of 3 below with -30 wind chills. went down to -20 last night.

15 above would be a warming trend. just went out and stocked the wood furnace for the house and shop. shop is always 68 degrees with in-floor heat. ross
Ross Hebeisen

Remember the recent thread discussing the pros and cons of a basement workshop?

*My* shop is toasty warm today... and every day...
Reply to
Doug Miller

############################################ well. . . .. it got down in the low 60s here (Oahu) which is chilly to me when you realize we don't have heat in the house. I DO turn on the de-humidifier, which throws off a little heat. I left northern Ind. 50 or so yrs. ago just to escape those damnable cold winters. Only return to visit summers ! Aloha, Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow! Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

Reply to
Dude

You forgot about the part where all you had for breakfast was sawdust.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... and "Too poor to pay attention" and "we lived so far back in the woods we had to head towards town to hunt."

Reply to
Mark Jerde

TB II is good to 55 TB III is good to 45

Round about december I switch to TB III, basement shop stays about 50.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf