Tenoning Jigs...

OK, another newbie question:

What tenoning jig do you all suggest? Can you use them to cut on the thin edge as well? By the images I've seen it looks like it would be hard to hold the workpiece in place securely to cut that side.

(Back in HS we used to cut tenons on a band saw, with the shoulders done on a table saw.)

Reply to
Sammy

It is easy to simply make one. All it needs to do is give you a long enough sliding surface so that the item you are cutting doesn't rock back and forth, and needs to be wide enough (or hook on the fence well enough) so that it doesn't rock side to side. On top of that there needs to be some way to hold it and to clamp your wood to it. The ability to adjust for angles different than 90 degrees might be useful sometime, but maybe not.

My first tenoning jig was a length of 1x6 with a piece of 1x2 glued on at a right angle about 2/3 of the way back. Just clamp the piece to be cut in that corner and run it through. For wider pieces you would want something wider than a 1x2.

I prefer a jig which rides on the fence instead of having something which uses the miter slots as the fence already has a built-in measuring and adjusting capability. With a miter slot based one, you need to build a means to provide fine adjustment.

-jack

Reply to
JackD

I have a Delta but if I had it to do again, I'd save the money and make one. They are quite simple as all you need is 2 boards on edge at 90 degrees with the one closest to you being perpindicular to the miter slots. Brace it near the top with a thin 45 degree cut board and you're done. Use your fence as the adjuster.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

I made one for about $5 and 30 minute's time.

The dimensions are not critical, except for fitting it over your fence.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Sammy,

As several have said - you can make one. The Delta (recently improved they state) has been the defacto standard and time proven if you're going to purchase one. It's hefty and reasonably accurate after you figure out the backlash tolerance on the adjustments.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Can be routed with simple jig, see sample in pix link:

*************************************> OK, another newbie question:

Reply to
Routerman P. Warner