tambour doors. How to?

RicodJour wrote in news:9a034991-0437-4455-b979- snipped-for-privacy@u17g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Thanks again. Doors would have to move left to right, not up and down. This will be right on top of a 3-door sideboard with horizontally moving doors.

Reply to
Han

9-

Find a guy with a cnc and have him cut some spirals for the top and bottom to guide the tambour as you roll it sideways, If he cuts those tracks/spirals out of High-density polyethylene (HDPE), they're self lubricating and easy to cut. Instead of spiraling into a coil, you can have the tambour go in behind the TV.

Reply to
Robatoy

Han,

Tomorrow, Friday, 2/4 on channel 471, WLIW Create, at 11AM, 5PM and

11PM Rough Cut will be broadcast. The project is a breadbox with tambour door. Have a look to get an idea of what is involved when using the canvas method.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
tommyboy

Robatoy wrote in news:a6a3c9bf-a18e-45bd-b6c1- snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

I'll keep that in mind!! :)

Reply to
Han

tommyboy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Set to record! Thanks!

Reply to
Han

RicodJour wrote in news:9a034991-0437-4455-b979- snipped-for-privacy@u17g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Looking into that, the problem (or is it not a problem?) is that the doors are to be wider than the depth of the cabinet. Can you have double bifold doors that swivel and can be pushed in like a pocket door/flipper door?

Reply to
Han

9-

When you say double bifold, if you mean a pair of bifolds - four leaves in two pairs, with one pair on each side, yes, absolutely. Very common.

RicodJour

sure. hinge them in the middle. to operate, swing the entire door outwards, swing the outside half in, then shove the door into the cabinet.

what's on the other side of the wall? perhaps you can just put the entire door/tv/stand on a swivel and rotate it.

Reply to
chaniarts

Additional info:

RicodJour

Ironic how my TV was bragged to be 1.2" thick and yet a mount will hold it

6-8" off the wall and a cabinet will make it 12-16" deep again.

You may find the doors will never get closed, anyway, except for drunken parties.

what's on the other side of the wall? perhaps you can just put the entire door/tv/stand on a swivel and rotate it.

Reply to
Josepi

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u6g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! Now I know what to do. Better half will have to make the final decision ...

Reply to
Han

"Maury" is Maury Popovich. He has a sleazy daytime TV show and makes Jerry Springer look like Walter Cronkite.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's fine as long as you get to hang on to the remote.

RicodJour
?

Why would he need a lawyer to do a little woodworking? Do you work for SawStop? {ducking}

RicodJour

"dadiOH" wrote in news:4d4b1493$1$13941$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

I only watch home or woodworking shows.

.
Reply to
Han

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z3g2000prz.googlegroups.com:

> [...]

What do you know about penis envy? (help!!!)

Reply to
Han

"dadiOH" wrote in news:4d4b1493$0$13941$882e7ee2 @usenet-news.net:

TV is too high. Or I would need upper and lower barrister doors. Otherwise a good idea. I'm still torn between a roll-up tambour and a double set of bifold flipper doors (2 doors, each bifold).

Reply to
Han

I've done both and if I had my druthers I would personally rather got the tambour route, the deciding factor being a greater chance of future trouble free operation, and the satisfying feel of a tambour job well done.

While both can have their frustrating installation issues, my experience is there is far less mechanical frustration down the road with a traditional tambour installation ... although tambour may be just a bit more involved upfront, it is the kind of involvement that requires common woodworking skills (routing, ect), not mechanical skills.

Flipper doors can be a bitch during installation with the necessity for 'follow strips' and the fussy nature of the hardware.

Just my experience/tuppence ... YMMV

Reply to
Swingman

No wonder you want to cover up the TV...to keep the dust off.

.
Reply to
Josepi

If you plan to take a vote, count me for tambour.

Reply to
dadiOH