Tales of the unkept shop...

Lucky man. I've got a 9' x 12' room *BUT* it's got 4 sections of 16" deep utility shelving (bye bye 20+ sq ft.), *and* 6 4-drawer legal file cabinets (bye-bye another 20+ sq. ft.) in it. I loose another 8 sq. ft. in a corner 'blocked off by cabinets and shelving, and another 3x4 space by the entry door. "usable" space is a little over 5'x8'. In there I've got a contractor saw on a mobile base, and have to _rotate_the_saw_ depending on whether I'm going to cross-cut and rip. Also a bench-top drill-press, benchtop jointer, and a bench-top 'router table'. The saw does double duty as the work-bench.

Oh yeah, this is a condo, I don't have the option of using a shed in the yard.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Sat, Jul 19, 2003, 1:02pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: Well, I effectively did when I changed the subject completely. I just preserved the heritage. :)

No you didn't, you just kept the old one going.

You have a smaller shop than mine, JOAT? Somehow I find that hard to believe.

I don't know, I didn't do the math.

Welder. Ooooooh. I want one of those.

Got a nice wire welder too, but the older kid's got it. They don't want to borrow the stick welder.

Bandsaw too. You can have my Craftsman router though. It's very difficult to adjust well, and there's a lot of slop in the collet/shaft, making it want to flex away from the work. I find it very difficult to avoid gotchas. Almost everything I've ever done has some little irregularity.

Mine lives in my router table, with a flush trim bit in it, no adjustments, has worked just fine for years.

Lathe too... Sheesh.

You probably wouldn't like it, it's from HF, and only cost about $129, about 5-6 years ago. No vibration to speak of, and works great.

Scroll saw...

Yeah, a nice little variable speed Craftsman. Clearance apparently, a few years ago, out of the store for about $35 or so. Very similar models a few days later for around $170-180. Same type of dea, and similar price, l on my bandsaw. If you're polite to the Woodworking Gods, they tend to appreciate it.

Then I flipped the track and repeated. Got down to where there's only ~1" of un-cut track in the middle. No tool I own can touch it.

You'r not thinking. I've seen track cut in half in Vietnam with two guys taking turns on a hacksaw. They were cutting on it and hadn't got too far thru when I first saw them, and were finished when I came back thru an hour or so later. Or, there's always a torch.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Mine lives in my router table with a round-over bit in it.

I'd wager the track you saw in Vietnam wasn't this tall. This is *big* rail. Model railroaders complain about how out of scale the standard, cheap code 100 track looks, because the rails are too big to represent the kind of track that's most frequently used in the real world, and this stuff is what that model track scales up to.

I can't reach the bit that needs cutting with any hacksaw I own, and I don't have a torch (just a propane job... not hot enough.) Plus, I suppose most importantly, I don't really need it cut. I was going to give an anvil to a friend who moved away four years ago. He didn't get it.

I figure it ain't goin' anywhere, and I'll do something with it when I really need it. Or maybe one day it will finally break when I get upset and go pound on it for awhile. :)

Reply to
Silvan