Table with granite insert

Thank you.

There are a couple of cross supports under the marble. Also the "top frame" sides capture the perimeter of the cabinet so that it does not slide. The marble simply sits on top of the supports, it is heavy enough that it is not going to move.

Here is a blow up.

Leon

Cut the wood surround with a 5 or 10 degree? undercut taper just a "titch" smaller than the marble slab - then you only need to sand the top edge back to fit. using chalk or oil or whatever, mark the top edge of the marble/granite then place the "surround" on top and apply light pressure to transfer the marking agent to the wood to indicate where to sand to. "under-sand" then trial fit and repeat untill you get a nearly perfect fit. Actually simpler and faster than it sounds.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The weight isn't an issue with me for most of the slabs, IMO, they aren't that heavy to me and I'll look at is as a good workout.

All other pieces are mostly straight and others have that "live edge" style, like live edge wood. I plan to simply smooth the sharp edges, add legs and polish these two pieces for side tables.

I have larger slabs with rough edges and VERY heavy. I was planning on installing legs on them also for larger coffee tables. I could also cut them square and make tables with that, similar to Leon, but most likely not that good. Practice makes perfect.

As mentioned, a caning spline would work well for inserting a trim feature. The issue with a cane spline is that you'll need about 3-4 layers of spline for the 1" thickness of your slabs. Cane spline is about 5/16"-3/8" thick for a 1/4" wide spline. That is not a problem, as spline is inexpensive and very easy to install.... and can be stained and finished. It is soft enough to conform itself into an uneven, irregular space. It's easily cut with a razor knife. Should this spline option be a consideration, I get my caning supplies from Franks Cane and Rush Supplies. Here's a link to his spline size and prices. You can, at least, get an idea of spline dimensions and price. Example: 50' roll of 1/4" wide spline is $11.25. Scroll down to Reed Spline. There may be a caning supplier near you, as well.

Something to consider. Thank you

Reply to
Hawk