Table Saws, again

Hi, All,

I just tried to order a Grizzly table saw, and was again pissed off at their customer service. I was going to get a G0576 10", 220vac, left tilt, 2hp. I need some help looking for a replacement, similar price range.

Has anyone a good recommend, major brand preferred. I'm also going to get a Delta jointer and Delta planer, but have no loyalty to Delta for a saw. Or, even brands besides Craftsman or HF to stay away from.

I will be making boxes, drawers, smaller furniture,and whatever else I can think of - as a hobby!

Thanks for your response!

Rich.....

Reply to
rich

3HP Unisaw. around $1,700. I've no loyalty to Delta other than I'm happy with my Delta Unisaw and DP. I'm not crazy about my other Delta stuff, so I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Never had a problem with anything on my Uni. Table is flat enough, powerful, smooth drive system. arbor has no measurable runout (read: under .001). trunion moves easily. dust collection is adequate after taping off some gaps between the top and cabinet. Came with a Bies fence which I prefer over other fences but not by enough to argue the point with someone who likes a non Bies fence.

Dave

Reply to
David

Rich,

I bought my current TS about a year ago, so this may be a little dated. I bought the Delta, if memory serves me correct its the 36-680 line. I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people, and decided on the Delta after talking to the good people at Woodcraft. One guy there in particular changed my mind. He said the difference with Delta is that their motors are made in the U.S., have an additional capacitor (not an engineer here) and in the long run that's what its all about.

That being said, I almost bought any one of a dozen other brands. Grizzly is what it is. I own a jointer and have been very happy with it, although the blade guard suffered from poor quality springs and borings. Makes wood flat, was cheaper than others.

I do have the 22-580 Delta Planer and I love it. Wood Magazine did a good review of contractor saws a year ago and I think FWW's Tool Guide did a review on cabinet saws & hybrids.

Good luck, and have fun shopping,

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

Jet, General or Delta. I use my Unisaw a great deal and would buy another but if they went away, I would buy the General or Jet/Powermatic depending on price.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

What about the General International 50-185M1? Left tilt, 2HP, prewired

110 but can be 220.

Got best buy and reader's choice awards in Fine Woodworking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I bought the General International 50-260 last year. It came with a Biesemeyer fence and out of all of the pre-drilled holes, only ONE lined up. I had to drill the rest. Other than that pain in the a$$, I'm very happy with it. It runs very smooth and cuts accurately.

I think the only thing I would do different is add a router extension wing from the start.

Good luck and be safe.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cox

I have a Unisaw that I really like. I did have to replace the motor after about 12 years, though it was probably my fault. At 3 hp, it's got enough power to throw me across the room. Considering saws, I think the Powermatic has a slight edge over the Delta in the sawdust collection mode. The ones I've used at work, have a front opening bin against the small port on the Delta. But if your using a vacuum collector, it probably doesn't add much of an advantage.

Reply to
Roger King

Reply to
Howard

Last I heard, at least some Unisaws were shipping with Brazilian-made motors. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the motor or the saw (I'd be happy to own one), but I would check carefully before making a buying decision on the promise of a U.S. motor.

Reply to
kkfitzge