Table Saw Question...

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote in news:LEfue.10 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.abs.net:

Seemed a series of paid advertisements, and beneath the normal standards of August Home.

Reply to
Patriarch

Speak for yourself. I fail to see how his corruption of the word does anything for our good name, or his for that matter. We don't have a vast lexicon of annoying slang for the British, but if I was to pick through the sewer and find some, would you find that humorous? Maybe Mr. Gorman has yet to be reminded that such comments aren't always welcome. In that case his knowledgeable woodworking posts can only be improved by the omission of the provincial jabs. If he was just doing a little innocent trolling, then he got what he was looking for. You see, it's all good.

Reply to
Hax Planx

That's funny. I always thought the word European had some humorous phonetic possibilities, but I always restrained myself.

Reply to
Hax Planx

I thought I was speaking for myself; last time I checked, the slang IMHO meant In my Humble Opinion......

While I'm at it, IMHO, (oh, sorry, speaking for myself) I don't find the word "Murricans" the least bit offensive.

Balderstone might have gotten it right. You might want to check your corn flakes daily.

Mutt.

Reply to
Pig

Well, Pig, (does that make you a Murrican Pig? ;)) I didn't know that I was supposed to be offended by "Murrican" either! Heck, I had to DAGS

- I had NO CLUE as to what it meant, and why Hax was so upset. Apparently, you and I both need to study more the things that are supposed to offend us (BIG wrap, be careful):

I thought I was speaking for myself; last time I checked, the slang

Reply to
TheNewGuy

To me, "Murricans" is nothing more than a phonetic spelling of the word "Americans" in an american accent. Being that I'm Canajun, it's more properly spelt "Murkin". :-)

Reply to
Rob Fargher

Nope... Don't you remember those famous books from the Trudeaupia years "Canajun, Eh?" and "Murrican, Huh?"?

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Canadians are "Murkins", too. So are Argentinians. The continents are "America", not the country. We live in The United States ***OF*** America. We get a couple Canadian stations here, & it always cracks me up when they interview someone who says something derogatory about "Americans". YOU ARE AMERICAN, TOO.

Reply to
Jerry S.

I doubt very much that you'd find many (any?) Canadians or Argentinians who would agree with you. :-)

I'd like to point out, also, that the official name of our neighbor immediately to the south is, in English, the United States of Mexico. And to the best of my knowledge, citizens of that nation refer to themselves as "Mexicans".

United States of Mexico --> Mexicans. United States of America --> Americans.

There used to be several others in South America as well, but the official names have since changed. Here's what they used to be:

United States of Brazil --> Brazilians. United States of Venezuela --> Venezuelans. United States of Colombia --> Colombians.

To sum it up, you're just flat wrong. Citizens of Canada are Canadians; citizens of the United States of Mexico are Mexicans; citizens of the United States of America are Americans. All are _North_Americans. Similarly, citizens of Argentina are Argentinians, and _South_Americans. But Canadians, Mexicans, and Argentinians are not "Americans" by _their_own_ definition.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Just be careful not to spell it "Merkin". :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. As many people from the various nations throughout the New World consider themselves to be "Americans", some think the common usage of American to refer to only people from the United States should be avoided in international contexts where it might cause confusion. Some find the use of American to refer to only the United States offensive, as tending to disregard the existence of other American nations. Many in Latin America may consider it an insult if it is suggested that they are somehow less worthy of being called American than residents of the USA.

Reply to
Jerry S.

ROTFLMAO!

Anybody can add anything to Wikipedia. It's not exactly an authoritative source.

Many people who read and contribute to this group are citizens of Canada. Let's ask them: do you guys "consider [your]selves to be 'Americans'" or Canadians?

Yeah, right. Produce one. Find me a citizen of Mexico who gets pissed off when you call him a Mexican, and tells you he's an "American".

I'll not hold my breath while I wait.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doing a quick google, the very first HIT shows a Canadian on my side. Read Greg's comments.

Yeah, right. Produce one. Find me a citizen of Mexico who gets pissed off > when

Hit number 2. Read #77. "I'm 100% Mexican"... " I am an American, even if I don't have papers. Why, everyone who comes through america from the north (Canada) or the south (Mexico) are Americans too! why? because america is not a country -- It's a continent." (I hope the link works): http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:00UTyD66ZKcJ:

don't care if you disagree with my interpretation or not, but to call me flat wrong is, well, flat wrong. If Mirriam Webster dictionary lists my interpretation ahead of yours, I'm not "flat wrong".

Reply to
Jerry S.

I'm a Canadian; this is the first time anyone has called me an American. I suppose technically speaking everybody in North and South America is an American. Heck, I could call myself a Monctonian, but most of you don't know or care where Moncton (city) is. I could call myself a New Brunswicker (Province). I call myself a Canadian when I'm dealing with and international audience. I can't ever remember calling myself a North American.

We all know what it usually means in a debate when we start to say "technically speaking". It means our argument is flawed for 99.9% of the population, but we can still say we are right.

To date, when I have heard a news report about America or an American, my assumption has been the story is about The United States of America or a citizen. I don't think I have been wrong yet. Perhaps I just don't know I have been mistaken.

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

Nobody's saying you're mistaken. :-) I'm not saying that when someone says "American", that we should think "Oh, you mean 'an inhabitant of North or South America'", I'm just saying that if a Canadian (or Mexican, or Argentinian) says something derogatory about "Americans", then technically (yes technically) he/she is insulting himself/herself. And I find that funny. And that's not meant to be derogatory to Canadians (or Mexicans, or Argentinians)

------- Jerry (an "American" who enjoys visiting Canada, and watching channel 31 from Toronto)

Reply to
Jerry S.

Garbage. Of course there's going to be some individuals that agree with you, but the majority of Canadians consider themselves exactly that, Canadian and they value their heritage as a Canadian society distinct from Americans. Would Americans call themselves Canadian? The name of the continent of North American has absolutely nothing to do with country pride.

Reply to
Upscale

Y'all know what a merkin is?

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey - he just said "name one". :-P

If the "Americans" were from Canada they would.

The name of the continent of North

Pride had nothing to do with it. I'm just saying that, as the other fine Canadian pointed out, TECHNICALLY, Canadians are Americans, too.

Reply to
Jerry S.

I'm a Canadian. I'm not an American, and have never played one on television. Some of my best friends, OTOH, are Americans. I have a couple of friends who are Chileans, and Peruvians. They are not Americans, either.

This "we're all Americans" canard is so very old and tired. Let's put it on an ice flow and wave goodbye.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

But, as much as you may not like to admit it, is technically true.

Reply to
Jerry S.