Table saw or router table?

Table saw. I bought mine before I knew really much at all. Now when I buy other tools, I try to justify using them instead of the tablesaw...Table saw is a real workhorse.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I have a shaper and agree that it is a great tool for spinning shaper cutters but don't think that it is even a good tool for spinning router bits. The maximum speed of most shapers is way too slow for most router bits. I have a no frills router table for router bits and use the shaper for the bigger jobs.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Bandsaw.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

These are very different tools. If you have the money, buy a (quality) table saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thats a pretty ambitions project for your first. If you buy all your materials pre-planed and jointed; buy stock, pre-made, mouldings and can find premade turned posts then I suspect your best first tool will be a compound mitre saw. Then Table saw, router w/table, jointer, planer, shaper and hundres of other cool things. bwo ha ha ha.

Reply to
No

Your first tool should be your library card. Do a whole lot of research on what's *really* involved in building furniture.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sorry I wasn't clear, I actually own quite a few tools... just not the kind that would be used for making furniture. My weekend job is rehabing houses so I have quite a bit of experience with rough and finish woodworking (from framing to moldings). I already own several compound mitre saws, jig saws, circular saws, multiple drills and rotary tools, etc...

Reply to
Locutus

I do plan on purchasing the wood preplaned and using pre-made moldings. For the posts I was considering using porch posts... I already own a compound mitre saw and many other tools. I meant to ask "which would you buy first out of those two tools", I did not mean to imply that it would be my first tool.

Reply to
Locutus

Well, you can make a router table for almost nothing, so all that leaves is buying a router if you don't already own one. That is dramatically less expensive than a table saw.

I work just fine without a table saw. I use a bandsaw instead. At first I did that because that is all I had room for. Now I'm sure I'd get a table saw, even if I had room. It is safer, quieter, and very versatile. One caveat: Bandsaw is not good for handling a lot of plywood.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

Why not use medieval tools to increase authenticity . . .

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Reply to
Tom Cavanagh