Table saw or router table?

for a woodworking newbie, which tool would you recommend as your first purchase? From what I have been reading, it seems many of the things that can be done with a table saw can also be done with a router table and a straight bit? and it appears to be safer.

Comments/advice appreciated.

Reply to
Locutus

Opinion only of course, but ... personally, I don't think a router will be much good without a table saw. But, it depends on what you want to do, which you gave no hint of; there ARE instances where you possibly wouldn't need a Table Saw for much of anything but they are few and far between.

And no, a Table Saw can't come close to doing what a router can do, and vice versa in most cases. I've never known anyone who used a router but didn't also have to use a table saw.

What kind of projects do you see yourself doing? That will answer your question; more details needed, but I suspect you want a table saw first.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I want to make medieval era reproduction furniture. Furniture from this time period is rather simplistic.

This will be my first project:

Locutus

Table saw, IMO. With it, you can make your own router table. Tom

Reply to
tom

Saw. You'll need to cut boards to width and length, router isn't for that.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Hey Locutus, I think the table saw is a must have piece of equipment. Depending on which model you get, you could replace or adapt one of the side tables to mount a router and you'd have both of your choices. You could even use the TS fence for the router in many applications. If you can have only one item go with the table saw.

Marc (who is happy that he could log onto rec.WW without any difficulty today.)

Reply to
marc rosen

Ts here too, but be sure to know how to use it safely. I was lucky enough to have a few courses. It can kill you, i mean its a mean m/c. But it cuts things to size. A sled is used for crosscutting. Easily made and essential, non standard eqpmt.

Reply to
bent

Actually, you will find times to use both. But, you should start with a table saw. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Locutus

Many things that can be done on the TS CAN indeed be done on a router table. Walking instead of driving to you favorite vacation destination CAN indeed be done also.

You need the saw then build around it.

Reply to
Leon

I've never known anyone who

I am sure you were caught off guard here but many people have a router and use a Radial Arm Saw in place of a table saw. I started that way.

Reply to
Leon

A sircular saw can do almost what a TS can do with a little more work. I started with a Miter say, Sircular saw then Router and last TS. But if I start over, first I get TS. Max EN

Reply to
mnadjari

Since no one mentioned it, let me suggest a bandsaw as an alternative to the table saw or the router table. Probably safer than a table saw, and it can make tenons and dovetails and cut curves easier than a table saw. There is actually a lot of overlap in bandsaw/table saw functions.

Truth is an awful lot of woodworking joints can be cut on a tablesaw by itself. I think the bandsaw may run a close second.

You might collect some plans for the kind of things you'd like to build and try to imagine how the various parts would be shaped and cut. You may even decide that hand tools will produce the desired effects.

Good luck.

Chuck

Le>>for a woodworking newbie, which tool would you recommend as your first

Reply to
chuck

One more opinion - definitely get a table saw. Of all of the tools in my shop, it sees the most use and is the most versatile (sp?). Just don't skimp on the price - get the best saw you can afford - you won't regret it.

Bill

Reply to
remove

my shop, it sees the most use and is the most versatile (sp?). Just don't skimp on the price - get the best saw you can afford - you won't regret it.

I'll toss in my opinion by agreeing with the "don't skimp"... As far as which to purchase, that depends - if you can't afford a good-quality table saw right now, there is a lot you can do with a handheld circular saw (or small bandsaw) and a router table. That's where I am right now. If you only have a couple hundred dollars, for instance, it seems like it would make sense to save money until you can get a nice, solid, accurate TS rather than one that you'll want to replace soon. That couple hundred dollars could go towards a very nice router and stuff to build your own router table, or a cheap TS. Of course, if money is no object, get both. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I don't think I'd agree that a router can do what a table saw does. Oh I guess in an odd sort of way, given enough time it might be similar. For instance, I don't think I'd want to rip a 2X6 into 2X2's using a router, too much loss of wood, it might take a lot of time to do and probably won't be as accurately cut. And while making something that needs to have a quantity of pieces crosscut to the same length, I don't think the router is the tool for this task either.

I think I'd go for the best table saw you can afford first then a router later. There may be two schools of thought on buy the best you can afford. (1) If you save up for a Powermatic 66 for example it might be a long time before you cut any wood. or (2) Buy the best and only cry once. A high accuracy table saw will make your projects turn out better.

It hurts for me to say this... But if a Craftsman is in your reach, at least it will get you started. (That should get a fire going on this news group! It's vogue to kick Craftsman you know, but they earned it!)

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

Nothing to talk about:

Saw... the best you can afford.

Then mount a router in one of the saw's wings, as already mentioned elsewhere in this thread by marc rosen.

That's how I got started... in 1976.

Reply to
Robatoy

The Borg gets kicked around a lot too, but I've yet to see a Ridgid tool get a truly bad review, and most are quite good for the money.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Table saw first. Always better than you can afford :)

And for some reason I'm alone in the thinking that a router table is a silly item. Why not get a shaper (with router bit collets) that is actually designed for doing that exact job? People here spend a fortune getting the table, fence, height adjuster, router, etc....when equal or even less money will get you a decent little shaper that takes router bits, has easy height adjustment, and you can get real shaper cutters for the most used profiles.

Ever try to adjust the height of a router that's hanging upside down? Ever looked at where the chips are going in an upside down router? Ever had to chuck a router bit dangerously close to the end to get enough height?

If you need a router for freehand work fine, get one, but ever tried changing base plates and installing a router into a router table upside down while trying to screw it from the top?

Obviously all routers and situations are different, but I never see anybody here advocate shapers for some reason?

My 2 cents.

-------------------- Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. WW'ing since 1985 LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Reply to
Scorp
[snip]
[snip]

You are absolutely right, Steve. Well put. By the time you add a good lift, a good router, a good fence, a good insert...you can buy a decent small shaper. Plus you get an induction motor which is much quieter and durable Now, if you buy a small shaper with a tilting spindle...now you're off to the races. Maximum speed is something to consider though... so is a stock feeder.

Reply to
Robatoy