Table saw blade holder

My Jet Contractor's saw does not have a flat on the blade shaft. To hold the blade while tightening or loosening I have the following shop made tool:

Take a 1 x 4 about 17 inches long. Place two 8 x 1" round head brass wood screws 3/4 " from one edge of the board, 4 inches from each end, leaving enough shank exposed to slip into a slot on the blade.

It is used by holding along the blade with the screw in a slot on the side of blade that would be forced downward by loosening the blade. When tightening slide the board so that the other screw holds the downward force on the blade.

Drill a hole in one end to hang it by and Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Not to rain on your parade, Gerald, but using any kind of mechanical holder that applies stress at one particular tooth is definitely not recommended. I've read this caution in manufacturer's literature (I think it was with my woodworker II papers). The simplest, yet highly effective advice I read was to grab a heavy rag, wrap it around the blade and grasp it tightly. It doesn't put any stress on the blade teeth and its easily available (and "free").

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

One of the woodworking mags I read a while back suggested using a clamp like a Quick-Grip to clamp onto the blade. The clamp is trapped by the opening.

todd

Reply to
todd

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I've used that technique with good results. When the blade gets tight enough, the clamp slips.

I have since moved to the leather glove technique. I just like it better, but can't really explain why

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Real men do it without a glove.