Table saw 55 deg chamfer question

I have a 5.5 x 5.5 x 1.5 piece that requires a 55 deg (from the vertical) x .75 chamfer on all four sides of the large periphery. How can I do this on a table saw with a 10" blade that only goes 45 deg? If I place the piece vertical for a 35 deg cut the blade won't be tall enough. Unfortunately all I have is the table saw to make the cut. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike and Karol

Stand the board on its edges and run it through with a 35 degree angle.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oh? Why not? Seems to me you need to have the blade only a little more than one inch above the table.

That's all you need.

Cut at the *bottom* corner, not at the top: __________ | | | | | | | | | | \\ | | \\ | | \\ . | \\ . | \\ . | \\ .______|

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course! Then all I have to do is protect the fence with some scrap. Thanks Doug, I'm heading out to the garage now. Mike

Reply to
Mike and Karol

Mike and Karol wrote: > I have a 5.5 x 5.5 x 1.5 piece that requires a 55 deg (from the vertical) x > .75 chamfer on all four sides of the large periphery. > How can I do this on a table saw with a 10" blade that only goes 45 deg? > If I place the piece vertical for a 35 deg cut the blade won't be tall > enough. > Unfortunately all I have is the table saw to make the cut. > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You need a jig to hold the piece to SAFELY do this job.

You definitely do NOT want to make the cuts with out a jig holding the piece.

At least NOT in my shop.

Sears used to offer an universal jig that would allow you to stand the piece on edge while being held in place by the jig, then run it thru the saw with the blade set at 35 degrees.

An alternate would be a tenoning jig.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

NO!!!!

Refer to the "drawing" I made in my previous post. The fence should be on the RIGHT, not the left.

Left to right, it should be blade - wood - fence. NOT fence - blade - wood. Assuming a left-tilt saw, anyway, as I illustrated.

If you have a right-tilt saw, put the fence on the left. In either case, you want the workpiece between the fence and the blade, NEVER the offcut.

I hope I caught you in time!

Reply to
Doug Miller

My blade only tilts to the right. However, I just found out that I can effectively place the fence on the opposite side of the blade for a short but adequate distance. I've never done this before and this should work just fine. Mike

Reply to
Mike and Karol

Lew, I definately agree. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike and Karol

See Tenon Jig. Adapt for your project.

Stoutman

Read it again.

Reply to
CW

Or just screw it to a longer board. Keep it simple.

Reply to
CW

What did I miss? My suggestion is the same as Doug's and the OP stated that Doug's method would work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The OP said in his original message that your method wouldn't work. I guess you were right in assuming he didn't know what he was talking about as he later said it would.

Reply to
CW

Boy - I really did miss it then CW. I thought his original post said he was trying to obtain the cut by laying the board down on the table, not standing it up on edge. Sometimes I wish they'd make these newsreaders easier to understand...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You're right, I could have made it clearer. I could not get over the idea that if I put the board on edge that my only cut was on the upper edge of the board. It took you gents to show me the simple solution by using the table saw in a way I've never used it before: by placing the fence on the other side of the blade and cutting the bottom. edge. It worked great. Thanks for all your feedbacks. Mike

Reply to
Mike and Karol