T-Shirts for the group (possible idea?)

As I was sitting upon the throne this morning (the white one with the water in it ) a stray thought passed into my head. Since it was lonley there in my head I have decided to pass it along to the group so I cound get back to my usual empty headed state. It seem this group could use some help in achieving togetherness and I know just the thing. We should all have matching T-shirts, the front would have a picture of a wood vise with the logo "VISE SQUAD " the back could have "REC. WOODWORKING". Any thoughts, any takers, we could probably get 'em cheap if we order enough copies. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

Uh, which side of the planet is that? Vise is spelled vise no matter where you live.

If you spelled it "vice" you'd have a pretty bad problem that might need intervention, depending on the nature of your addiction.

Things like miter and mitre and meter and metre are variations of spelling, but vise and vice are completely different words.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Australia here, but the same holds true for the UK.

Nope.

No, they are variations of the same word.

According to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (The most authoratative dictionary of the English language, second only to the full version which is so large and expensive few individuals can either afford or house it ) since

1500 the word "vice" has been used to describe "A tool comprised of two jaws opening and closing by means of a screw, which firmly grip a piece of work and hold in position while it is being operated upon; used esp[ecially] by workers in metal and carpenters.

The word "vise" is given as a US variant.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Well, ok, I suppose that's possible, but here's what I get when I look in my Webster's New World (I'm sure you'll get a kick out of that hehe) Dictionary:

(1st definitions only)

Vise: a device, usually fastened to a workbench, consisting of two jaws opened and closed by a screw, lever, etc. and used for holding firmly an object being worked on.

Vice: an evil or wicked action, habit, or characteristic, depravity or corruption, esp. prostitution.

So, you tell me which one applies more hehehe

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Well that does it then instead of VISE SQUAD it will have to have WOODWORKING VICE.

Roy

Reply to
RoyNeu

Reply to
Bob Bowles

I have a bit of respect for people I encounter, and don't plaster slogans, logos or advertising on my clothing (except my own shopmark, tastefully embroidered of the breast pocket)... I don't wear (where, ware, weir) T shirts with writing. Neither do my kids. I leave that bit of societal bonding, territorial marking, to the kids, and or course, "Old Navy".

Sorry.

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Roy responds:

How 'bout VISE VICE SQUAD

Charlie Self

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wait, wait, wait. Larry in Cincinnati? Talking about vise? Is this Larry Flynt? I though you were running for Gov. of Californication? Is this T-shirt gig a fundraiser?

PS: I think the idea is clever. Yet, bottom line: Would I buy one? Probably not. That's just my personal style. But, if you were looking for pre-orders, just wanted to note this. BTW, if you have any time to actually do this, you might be able to get one or more sponsors that could bring the price down a buck or two.

Reply to
Igor

Since it's apparent that NONE of us will ever agree on a logo, the saying, or even worse the *spelling* of a tee shirt - let's put something on it that will make people ask questions about our craft . . . something so profound that even folks on Arbor Day will go "WOW - I never heard of that before."

How about this:

"Jummywood - it's on the Wreck!"

LOL!

Okay - I now see that we can agree on not agreeing!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Or maybe "Got Jummywood?" Or "I learned to polish my Jummywood on the Wreck!" LOL

Dig

Reply to
Digger

Webster's is barely worthy of the name dictionary. He began by recording the use of America rather than England (which is quite reasonable), but he also wasn't above "improving" spellings in some personal crusade to simplify spelling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Or "woodworking is a vice" :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Front: "Woodwrecker" Back: "rec.Woodwork"

Any cartoonists in the group? How about a wild Rube Goldberg apparatus/ (wooden) with a cartoonish guy either trapped inside or standing next to it with a taped thumb, arm in a sling, and a goofy grin.

DanD

Reply to
Dan Dresner

Andy, I think your views are coloured by where you live. Websters works just fine in the US.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I buy bundles of rags for 20.00. The shirts I wear when dealing with a client are clean, embroidered with my shopmark, and cost plenty more than

19.95. My clients know from my appearance that I don't compromise on anything - even before I open my mouth to say hello. T-shirt? Yea, right.

It's tough to be taken seriously by someone while wearing a dud T-shirt with a faded slogan.

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

And on the Internet it is somehow tough to be understood as making a joke when one refuses to use smileys. Without some explicit wink, kidding is assumed as criticism. Yet, I persevere, ever striving to use well the English language. That aside, I agree.

Reply to
Igor

When someone has a broom stick up their ass, it's hard for them to understand a joke.

Reply to
Steve

My favorite woodworking slogan was on a tee shirt I bought from Woodcrafter "He who dies with the most tools wins". I got alot of reaction to that shirt.

Reply to
walter klaus

This is particularly true (and painful) if their head is up there as well.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD