Suggestions on new compressor?

I'd really like to replace my 5 year old Harbor Fright compressor before we move at the end of the year..

It's their 2 hp, 5 gallon, 110v model... works ok, but it's loud and cheaply built..

I'd like something that size or a bit larger... but as quiet as possible, which I'm hoping is available with new technology and/or more money...

110v or 220, doesn't matter as the new shop will have both...

Most common use besides blowing dust around are a couple of small brad drivers and the possible addition of an air drill and sander...

Any suggestions/recommendatons appreciated.. Mac

mac davis

Small compressores are inherently louder than the larger all cast iron oil lubed versions. Until you get into belt driven vs the direct drive models you are going to have to deal with loud. That said many newer small compressors are better than others but still are pretty loud by comparison to the type mentioned above. Have the store demo the compressor to you so that you can hear it before buying. Also have them compare the small ones to a larger belt driven one for a comparison. IMHO a lot of the noise is due to the fact that the smaller direct drive units run at a much higher speed.

Basically you have listed uses that go from one extreme to the other. Blowing air for short periods and running nail guns up to framing nailers do not require a high volume compressor. Drills and sanders on the other hand are pretty high volume users and would be better matched with a bare minimum

20 gal style compressor IMHO.
Reply to
Leon

a compressor that runs on 220v if you are to have sufficient horsepower to meet the high CFM requirements of sanders. So if you think you might ever go air-driven sanders, you might consider their requirements now as you decide what compressor you are going to with.

Reply to
John L. Poole

I'll stay out of the air compressor selection, but offer a suggestion about the distribution.

Hang a 20 ft length of 2" pipe with a 1/4" per ft slope that has 3/4" side taps pointing UP every 4-5 ft and a drain at the low point.

Plug the unused ones.

Use two (2), 3/4" street ells as a take off which will now have the opening pointing down.

Connect hose to the down pointing connection.

Why do all the above?

"Better air" is the answer.

1) You increase the storage capacity. 2) The air will be cooler, thus hold less water. 3) The street ells force the air to change direction which allows more water to drop out.

It is a low cost way of improving the performance of what ever compressor you select.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ding, ding, ding . . . you qualify for the 220 volt 80 gallon upright compressor to run that sander and air drill. Find the nearest home center or Tractor Supply and find their Ingersoll-Rand 60 or 80 gallon upright unit. Two-stage pump would be even better. Pick up a sandblaster while you're there. Some extra 1/2" air hose; maybe 50-100 feet, would help you go outside for those dirty projects that you don't want to handle inside the shop. You won't be portable but you will be powerful.

Reply to
IBM5081

"mac davis"

Who would'nt!

Like Leon said, brad nailers are no problem, however air drills and sanders require a high CFM. Look into a compressor that has a oiled cast iron pump. You're going to spend $700+ for a quality unit.

Dave

Teamcasa

I have a DeWalt 55155. Oil-lubed iron compressor, induction motor, direct drive. Not exactly quiet, but at least tolerable indoors.

4-gallon tank is fine for running a couple of finish nailers. Drills and sanders, however, are another story. They require vastly more air than nailers; you'll need something much more than a "bit" larger for those. More like a 20-30 gallon tank. Check the cubic foot per minute requirement of the tools you want to use, and make sure the compressor can supply that much continuous air.
Reply to
Bill

Besides a recently blown Porter Cable pancake, I have a stop gap Craftsman 1 HP, vertical 12 gal oiler that is relatively quiet, but it would not be good for AD and sander. (My needs are portability and small footprint over scfm).

Don't discount a Craftsman if you're wanting to go inexpensive ... I gave a lot of thought to their Model 19541, which is, IIRC, a pretty good buy if you have the space for a horizontal tank. After looking closely, the Craftsman still appear to be better built than the cheaper Kobalt/Coleman, Porter Cable/Devilbliss and Husky/Campbell Hausfeld offerings, although the quietest I heard in the midsize units was the Husky/Campbell Hausfeld VT6315.

If I ever find the time to build that new shop, I am going to look at Grainger's for a big SpeedAire, or something similar. My dad has had one for

30 years that is so quiet you can hardly hear it run 10 feet away.
Reply to
Swingman

SNIP

SNIP

Me too. That is why I have a little Craftsman 1hp with a 3 gallon tank to go install doors, etc. with. Nice little oil splasher, and it is on sale frequently for $100.

Ditto. In a misspent youth as a house framer, we had a big Speedaire that used to run 4 framing/decking/cornice guns at once. Best compressor I ever owned, and in about 2 years of banging around in the back of truck and lots of hard work under all conditions it never even hiccupped.

I don't know if you have seen the prices, but I am hoping at the rate I am steaming towards a new shop (putt, putt, putt) I don't know if I will be able to afford one.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've seen one in action. Cool little tool ... more portable than many tool boxes.

Just about choked on 'em last time I looked. They've doubled since it seems like just a year or so ago.

Reply to
Swingman

good points.. the HF is oil lubed but not belt driven... I've even seen recommendations in this group to separate the motor from the pump, which is hard to do if it isn't belt driven.. *g*

yeah.. the drill and sanders would be if the compressor supported them, not really tools that I need... (not that need ever determines tool purchases in my house)

I was going to buy a nice Craftsman 220v compressor that Bill Noble had rebuilt... 220v, 2 hp, 29 gal... but the cost of picking it up raised the price to almost new... still looking..

thanks, Leon Mac

mac davis

Thanks, John.. my thoughts, sort-of-exactly.. lol

The new shop will have 22v, a luxury that I've never had before, so I'm leaning toward 220 or dual voltage machines.. Mac

mac davis

I printed this one out, Lew... too early in the morning to understand it.. maybe after more caffeine.. *lol*

I do plan to put the DC and compressor out in the carport, so I'll be looking seriously at your suggestion..

Mac

mac davis

yeah, I see that the drill and sander are a distraction to my search... I'm happy with the electric stuff that I have, and don't really use the nailers much, though I might if the compressor was quieter..

After talking to Robohippy about trying to use an air drill for bowl sanding, I think I'll stay with my electric stuff...

I'm mainly looking for quiet and the possibility of adding a larger tank if needed so that it could be left on most of the time but set to run only when the pressure in the tank dropped... Mac

mac davis

Thanks... lots of model numbers to research!

I'm still thinking of looking at that used 2 hp/220v craftsman that bill noble has... just that the thought of a 500 mile round trip to go get it and the gas being over 3 bucks a gallon is sort of intimidating... Mac

mac davis

You get a plumbing distributor to cut and thread a 20 ft length of 2" pipe into 4 ft lengths.

After that, "It's time for some assembly", as Norm would say using

2"x2"x3/4" reducing tees.

BTW, if you can swing it, a 5HP, 2 stage compressor with an 80 gal vertical tank is very tough to beat.

You will be able to operate some serious air tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Now there's a man to listen to!

Reply to
Mike Marlow

For sure... I could nail some really big stuff until the glue dries... *g*

Mac

mac davis

Sounds very expensive, Lew.. what's a 2 stage compressor?? Mac

mac davis

My guess is about $800-$900.

Have had one about 10 years.

They are sweet.

2 cylinder, primary and secondary with an intercooler in between stages.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett