Stot's Dust Sucker opinion

I would like to know what your opinions of this device is. I've been thinking of getting one, but would like to know what you all think of it. I have the router table that I bought from Oak Park (the one on the Router Workshop). I installed /drilled a 2" hole on the outside/bottom of the table which is connected to my Grizzly dust collector and put a sheet of Plexiglas on the front opening. I want to put a "T" connection on the hose and run it to the Stot's device which would go on top of the table if I get one. I'd like to know what your comments and opinions are of this device. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tom

I have no experience with this particular device. I have played with different "non fence mounted" dust collection approaches on a router table and I think they are valid. My first and very highly effective approach was the end of a 4" flexible dust collection hose held to the table with a bungee cord. Man this worked well. You just had to be sure and get it somewhere near the "stream" of dust shooting off the bit. But it was a pain to manage. I currently have a Veritas magnetic dust chute that attaches to my shop vac. Its basically a 3" square opening. This works pretty well. Its not the hurricane force of a 4" dust collection hose, but it has the advantage of infinitely variable positioning on a steel table. I like it.

As to the Stott's device, it seems to me that he went overboard trying to justify a $50 price tag by adding storage bins and a hinged lid. This seems ridiculous to me. I'm not going to store bits and wrenches in a dust chute. That's what drawers in the router table are for. I think his dust collection idea is very valid. However, it seems pretty big to try to place behind the fence. That's a bad idea.

You might consider doing a little crude prototyping to see if it matches your expectations. Get some 1/4" plywood and a brad gun and throw together a box with a hole in the side for your vacuum hose and try it out. By the way, most of the effect of something like this is to realize that your job is not to suck the dust away from the bit. The router bit hurls the dust and chips off at a high velocity in a fairly directed stream. You just need to get something in front of that stream to corral it so the vacuum can suck it away after its slowed down inside the chute. Veritas does a very good job of explaining this in their router fence instructions. They even show how to make a simple chip directing device and eliminate a vacuum altogether.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Stotts is the same fellow who licenses you a master template to make your own dovetail jigs from. He must think he's Microsoft with a shrinkwrap license.

For that reason alone, I will NOT even consider his products. Woodworkers are the most trustworthy lot I've ever been associated with.

Alan

Reply to
arw01