Stanley LeverLock = JUNK

This is my second tape measure to have the claw break off. Less than 1-year old and the claw broke off and the tape wound up into the body.

Crapola!!

Reply to
stoutman

Buy craftsman...free replacement if it breaks....

Tina

Reply to
Tina

Send them back to Stanley. (I did) They'll send you a new on plus a spare (both also Crapola, but you will have another year's use out of them.) Maybe, if enough of us send them back, Stanley will do something about them.

Reply to
Charley

I've got two of them. One in my toolbox at work. Had that one for about ten years. Mylar on blade starting to peel due to metal working coolant but otherwise fine. Other one I use at home. When I hear of hooks breaking off, I wonder why someone hasn't let that individual in on the old trick of not letting it slam into the case.

Reply to
CW

That was my initial thought as well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

CW wrote

That's what I figured as well until I stopped by Sears today to see if they had corner chisel, they didn't, BTW. I saw a tape being returned, they clip isn't what broke off. The entire end of the tape broke off. The clip was still attached to about 2" of the tape and the tape had snapped off. I asked the guy behind the counter if they'd come up with a way to fix the problem yet and he replied.... Wait for it.... "Yeah, you bring them in and we replace them." Seriously. Corner chisels weren't even in their catalog, but neither were wood chisels of any type. Pretty scarey.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Sears sells Stanley tapes now?

Reply to
CW

Sears sells a lot of stuff that is not Sears brand. I don't recall whether the local store has Stanley tapes on the shelf but they certainly have Starrett.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They seem to be selling just about every brand they can get their hands on. I saw Stanley and Great Neck parked next to each other. It was an epiphany. They really are Kmart.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

No, I'm saying that Sears carries non-Sears products. If I had known that an exhaustive list of the brands of tape that Sears carries was so important to you I would have photographed the tape display in Sears today when I walked through and posted it to the binary group.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I know. The whole point sailed right over his head anyway. I'd have to retrieve it first.

Reply to
CW

No, just until you see the error of your ways.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What "point" do you think you were making by asking if Sears carried Stanley tapes? I thought you were merely expressing surprise. If you had some "point" to make then you need to improve your communications skills.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By the way, since you choose to make personal attacks when you haven't even been addressed, it's clear that you're just looking for a fight. Well, .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thank you for pointing out that my killfile needs another entry.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just *had* to get curious & look @ the whole thread.

Now I know why I didn't look @ it to start with. -- Nahmie The greatest headaches are those we cause ourselves.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

We had a bunch of craftsman tapes at work about six months ago, and I initially though it was great, as I could just take the suckers in and replace them when they got broke or wore out. The thing I discovered was that although they may replace the tape- they replace it with a "reconditioned" tool. That would be fine if they were as good as an original, but it sure seemed to me like the tapes were repainted (poorly), as the markings would smudge off after one or two splashes of metalworking coolant. After about a month of going to Sears every Friday because I couldn't read the damn markings anymore, I just gave up and traded the things in for a couple of those cheap Lufkin ones. Even though those suckers are only about $4 apiece and come in a vomitous array of neon colors, they still work better than the Craftsman ones did. Still wish I had something better than the Lufkins, but Craftsman certainly wasn't the answer.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus