Staining error

Number One Son is a good kid with a bad problem. He's renovating a bathroom and building a new closet, for which he purchased a prehung pine six panel door from the Borg. He has stained the door, one coat, with Minwax red oak and is dissatisfied with the color. Too dark. Short of ripping out the door and starting over, any suggestions? Minwax makes a "stain remover" ... anybody have any luck with that product?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
TD

I have never had any luck at all removing stain. Toning it, glazing it, aging it, sure. Removing it... nope.

It sounds like the attempt with the Minwax product could be as good a try as anything. Before I tried it, I would call the tech help line of the stain manufacturer and ask for any suggestions.

I hadn't actually heard of a wood stain remover and was unable to find a product like that on the net. In looking around, there were lots of products to remove like oxalic acid, or other light acids with surfactants and detergents.

Are you sure you found a product that says it will remove applied wood stain from wood?

I also noticed that you said the wood in question was pine. And to compound things, being a six panel door, there will be stain in every crevice, crack, joint, etc., and if the stain was applied to bare wood, I don't think you will have much luck removing it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Try wiping it with whatever solvent it uses. Does stain show up on the cloth? If so, keep wiping; if not, try lacquer thinner. If that doesn't work continue below...

Reply to
dadiOH

You can sand the wood. This will lighten the color (by removing wood and stain). However, you can only do this for large flat areas. Cracks are a pain in the crack.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

On Tue, 18 May 2010 23:43:19 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" wrote the following:

Best thing I've ever seen over Minwhacked RBS is...white enamel.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 May 2010 00:20:03 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote the following:

I think he just wants to lighten it, but we all know what lightened stain looks like. That's right, RBS Lite!

I got rid of a lot of the RBS on Mom's old dining set (oak ply which had been limed at one time and later covered with a deep, dark stain. Working in a very well ventilated garage, with the door open, I scrubbed every inch with lacquer thinner, wiping as I went, letting the excess flow down to the area I'd clean next. It took hours, but I got about 75% of the pigment out of the pores and 90% off the surface of the wood. She was thrilled with the result while I gagged, but it was her table, eh? I wasn't fond of the still-too-dramatic face/pore contrast.

Knowing Minwhacked, it's likely an oxalic acid mix sportin' a 4x price tag.

Given that he thought it was too dark, he may be in luck...if he likes contrast.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Minwax makes a "Gel" stain which will probably cover the mistake. I've used it to cover fiberglass, metal, painted wood, and everything but the cat. Not a perfect solution, but it might prove adequate.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd e-mail Monica Lewinsky. She'd know....

Reply to
Theodore Edward Stosterone

Take the door off and leave it on the roof for a week?

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy