Spray Painted Surface Very Rough

What is the source of the roughness? Paint fragments or small wood fibers that popped up from the surface?

You may well have "raised the grain"- caused such small fibers that remain after sanding to stand proud after getting wet.

Were that so, I'd be sure to use a cabinet scraper (rather than any sander) prior to sealing and between subsequent coats.

Can easily pass the "baby's bottom" test, doing that, with construction-grade plywood- utility stuff.

TTFN, J

Reply to
barry

Sorry about the stuttering, but GoogleGroups kept telling me something like "try again later, sucker." So, I kept trying.

Live & learn.

TTFN, J

Reply to
barry

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This sounds promising. I have a can of wipe-on-poly left over from a dinner table project. I will try it on an area of the book case that no one sees, and I will find out if I like the effect.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

This sounds promising. I have a can of wipe-on-poly left over from a dinner table project. I will try it on an area of the book case that no one sees, and I will find out if I like the effect.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

I wish you google-groups posters would migrate to a decent news reader - then we wouldn't get these replicated posts.

Reply to
HeyBub

It sounds like the nozzle wasn't clean enough. This can cause globs on the finish that don't flow into the surface and settle with the rest of the spray. Wetsand with 600 grit, clean , dry, wipe and spray again. It's alot of extra work but it will turn out the way you want it too.

been there, done that.

Reply to
pumis

I tried that last night, and I like it. I will use it all over the book case tomorrow. Thanks for the great tip.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

The roughness was definitely from the spray paint, not from raised wood fibers. The roughness from raised wood fibers would have taken me a long time to sand them away. On the other hand, sanding out the roughness from spray paint was quite easy (the only downside was that sanding also removed the shine from the paint, and I will fix this by using wipe-on-poly).

I have put multiple coats of oil based primer over the surface; therefore, I don't have the raised wood fibers issue any more. Moreover, the spray paint is also oil based.

Thanks for pointing out the possible cause of the roughness though.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

I didn't think of that. Now that you have mentioned this, I will clean the nozzle right after each use next time when I need to spray paint from a can. Thanks for the tip.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Google Groups wasn't working right yesterday, after posting it would say there was an error posting the message (hence folk hitting submit multiple times)

This is the first issue I've had with it and overall it makes for a good interface to usenet.

Reply to
damian penney

Don't clean it by poking something in it, clean it by holding the can upside down and depressing the valve until only propellant (no paint) comes out. Like it says on the can.

Reply to
dadiOH