Speedy Shop Cleanup

I finally completed a bedroom set project this afternoon and decided it was time to clean the shop. High time, at that.

So I went about it with the shop vac, alternately sucking and blowing, with only marginal results, when the dawn came. The trusty electric leaf blower. I opened the shop doors and fired it up.

It was like taking a ride in a dust devil. A veritable maelstrom of dust swirled throughout the building. Fasteners flew from the bench and splattered against the wall. Dead flies blew through the service door like a charge of buckshot. Small tools and offcuts clattered across the floor. The dust simply billowed out the overhead door and it must have looked like a small cattle drive. The process took about fifteen minutes.

I turned on a large fan to vent the settling dust through the service door, and walked over to the house for a short break. When I returned, the air had cleared, and the shop was clean as a whistle. Even the walls gleamed. The technique works.

But don't try it in your basement.....!

John

Reply to
John Aiton

Darwin award candidate-just minus the sudden demise usually reserved for the candidate. This is no different then sweeping it under the carpet-with the exception of "appreciative" neighbors.

Reply to
Greybeard

Darwin award candidate-just minus the sudden demise usually reserved for the candidate. This is no different then sweeping it under the carpet-with the exception of "appreciative" neighbors.

Reply to
Greybeard

Depends. In my case, the nearest neighbors in that direction would be a good 500 yards away and across the desert -- stuff would settle out before bothering them.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sun 12 Oct 2003 09:47:36p, Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

Ah. I'm glad you pointed that out before I tried it. :-)

"In hindsight, Officer, I guess it *would* have been prudent to check and see if my neighbor had two loads of laundry drying on the line. Seeing as how I already knew she owned a gun, anyway."

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I was thinking about this approach lately. I usually grab the blow gun tip on my air compressor to thoroughly clean up my table saw. Then I shoot it at the floor to whisk it clean. A leaf blower seems more civil for sweeping the floor. On the other hand, there are two drawbacks to either technique - you create a dusty mess to breathe (dust mask advised) and it ruins the freshly washed and shined Lexus sitting on the other side of the garage.

:-)

Reply to
Bob Davis

I use the leaf blower technique on a regular basis, as did my father.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Rick Cox

John,

Welcome to the dark side...

We've been cleaning the garage/shop like that for years! The neighbors know to close the windows in their houses when the see we've opened all three doors and the whine noise starts.

Andy

Reply to
andy

I might add, the neighbors tolerate us to a much greater extent than most because we have done projects for or loaned tools to almost every one on the cul-de-sac.

Andy

Reply to
andy

I have one slight modification to your plan. I wait until a very rainy day, which in the North West is quite often and then as I blow the dust out it is carried to the ground by the rain. No complaints from the neighbors and I live and have my shop in a Townhouse complex.

Reply to
Nut Tree

My neighbors tolerate me very well. If the ones on the one side piss me off, I don't let them play with their grandkids. ;) On the other side, I know who he's been schtupping for the last 20 years, and it isn't his wife.... 'Nuff said.

I get to be as obnoxious as I want. :)

Reply to
Silvan