SOT - Cedar for Cedar Baked Salmon

I was wondering if anyone has ever experemented with different kinds of Cedar for Cedar baked Salmon. Given the wide variety of tree species that are called Cedar, I'm thinking that different Cedars would probably give quite different tastes. So, I'm wondering what the intended wood species is for this recipe, and if any types give better results.

John

Reply to
julvr

I started a thread some time ago that got pretty heated. I LOVE cedar planked salmon. Specifically, I prefer the Easter cedar (aromatic) over the Western (not so aromatic, but it does impart some flavor). Western is the standard when you usually hear of planked Salmon. It is easily found at many mills and even home centers (fencing and roofing). The Eastern aromatic gives the meat a distinct flavor.

The earlier thread discussed health issues and the Eastern variety, about which, to sum up the collective knowledge of the Wreck on the issue, no one knew a thing. I eventually got some replies from government health and food agencies (i.e., real scientists) who said, provisionally, that there was no harm in it, and as far as they know it is less toxic (for allergins etc.) than the Western variety. Read the full thread for some fun banter.

H.

Reply to
hylourgos