some vids and pics of my new cnc router in action.

I had some fun making practice signs today. Found out Baltic birch plywood is not great. It fuzzes up and even the insides of the letters fuzz. But hey it was scrap so I can't complain. The others I did not hardboard. I need to get some mdf and melamine that will work great for signs. Here are a couple of pics and some vids on youtube. the vids sound loud but that is only because the camera is right by the spindle while it is cutting without the dc on you can talk right by the machine when it is running and not cutting it is just a whisper. the router is a shopbot prt alpha with a 4hp spindle router. that's a real 4hp not that fake 3.5ph only girly girls have (G) lots to learn still the software to design everything is the hard part for me. here are pics and vids of it getting built. and some vids on youtube.

Rebecca's sign

vacuum

silly things on my table
knight toolworks sign

Steve knight

| I had some fun making practice signs today. Found out Baltic birch | plywood is not great. It fuzzes up and even the insides of the | letters fuzz. But hey it was scrap so I can't complain.

Congrats on your new machine!

BB can be routed smoothly - at least smoothly enough to need a good magnifying glass to see the fuzz - but you'll need to use really sharp bits and use a finishing pass. I routed the parts (including the half-axis hinges) for my JBot out of BB on a PRT-96 with very satisfying results.

| The others I did not hardboard. | I need to get some mdf and melamine that will work great for signs.

They're ok for indoor signs - use something like Extira for signs that'll be exposed to moisture or high humidity.

| Here are a couple of pics and some vids on youtube. | the vids sound loud but that is only because the camera is right | by the spindle while it is cutting without the dc on you can talk | right by the machine when it is running and not cutting it is just a | whisper.

Great, isn't it?

| the router is a shopbot prt alpha with a 4hp spindle router. | that's a real 4hp not that fake 3.5ph only girly girls have (G)

| lots to learn still the software to design everything is the hard | part for me.

It'll get easier with practice - and remember that there's good help available on the forum. Don't be bashful about asking questions.

Morris Dovey

Nifty bot stuff

Congratulations, Steve!! Looks fabulous. I guess I'm bass-akwards from you; I have no problems with the software side, but to undertake the building of the table..well.. I'm short on the patience side of things. I think I'll opt for the steel one from ShopBot.

Here's looking at you! (You can tell which one is me..I'm the green one... not envy in the bad sense...a smidgen of jealousy maybe?)

I got one step closer yesterday to all of this..but more needs to be done on the legal side of things.. like variances on the property access and such.

Robatoy

Really nice looking signs!

What software did you decide to use? Tom

Reply to
Tom Grant

Good looking signs! Unless it is supposed to be a secret, can you tell us what software you decided to use!

Tom Grant

Reply to
Tom Grant

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:44:42 -0500, "Morris Dovey" w

not sure if this is the stuff that my bot box was made from it is all mixed up. bit was brand new with the bot the good brand (G)

fantastic. though cutting corian was pretty noisy.

the machine is getting easier software and time are the hard parts.

Reply to
Steve knight

v carve pro. they are getting better but I forgot to bring pics home. did some corian signs. got to cut some solid wood tomorrow.

Reply to
Steve knight

I used to do it all in my head never drew anything up. hence the battle with software. but it is getting a title easier.

I got the plans drawn out for me by a big guy at dewalt. traded him planes for it. it was not too hard to build. but with the new shopbots you don't have a choice about it you have to buy the table. I had a choice a almost 2k table or a spindle. glad I chose what I did.

just need a relative with money to die (G) that was the only way I could do it.

but they do need a lot of room mine is pretty wedged in there.

Reply to
Steve knight