So when is the finishing finished?

Nothing else matters ... absolutely _nothing_. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

+1

My take, too...it's not a for-sale piece where he's got to worry about a customer down the road.

And, time will tell if there's a problem of insufficient thickness and it'll be soon enough then to touch it up...

Reply to
dpb

What could be more true?

If you are happy and the finish hits all your requirements, then you are in the perfect spot. I have seen folks finish wood projects with non boiled linseed oil mixed with some kind of solvent or more resins and be thrilled. Looked great, and for the use of the piece, it was a good match.

No doubt you can match the finish to the project without help. I hope you didn't think I was lecturing; not my intent.

BUT.... (had to be one, right?) if you have a test piece of the same wood with the same finish and amount of coats on it, then you can easily test for final coat durability and appearance. You can add another coat as needed, or if it fits the bill the way it is, you are finished. (No pun intended...)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Reminds me of a tour I took of a foundry that creates those shiny brass doors for large, impressive buildings. As expected, the tour ended in the finishing room where an old gentleman was busy polishing one of the fancy doors. As the tour group was leaving, I hung back and asked the old man, "How do you know when it's polished enough?" He replied, "It's never done but, one day they just come and take it away." :-)

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry