Slightly OT: engineered lumber for outside (deck framing) use?

This is a little off-topis for rec.ww, but I thought some folks here would be in the know, and would likely have opinions... :-)

I'm planning to build a deck this winter that will require some fairly long framing members, and of course, flat, strong, and cheap are always good characteristics. There are a lot of benefits to engineered lumber for typical frame construction--have any of those translated to exposed outdoor uses?

Thanks, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts

I think it depends on your finances. Engineered stuff is expensive as hell. I'd use pressure treated lumber for framing and engineered lumber for deck surfaces that are in view.

Reply to
Upscale

If you're talking about I-joists and/or glue-lam, I haven't seen any rated for exterior use. The Georgia Pacific brand says they are treated with a sealant for only short term moisture protection. I wouldn't try using any of them outdoors without first checking with the manufacturer.

See:

Nova