Shop Hazard

In recent months, I've had to deal with a new shop hazard. It's about the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. Rather than sending a small piece of wood flying, though, it sends itself.

A table saw doesn't have a conscience, and will bite you if you treat it wrong. This shop hazard may or may not have a conscience, but is just plain mean. It'll poke you to see if you're paying attention, it'll walk all over you just to irritate, and very possibly enjoys doing it!

Irradication is proving difficult, as any attempts at irradication just shifts the problem to another location. Attempts to trap it at the other location are usually met with failure. Push sticks, sacrificial blocks, overblade guards are all effective at reducing table saw hazards, but nothing seems to work on this hazard.

If only I could just swat that fly.

Reply to
Puckdropper

Do you have a dust collector? A hose connected to one is good for grabbing flying insects.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Full face mask, muffs, and long sleeves will git-r-done, Pucky.

Alternatively, insulate the shop, install a 5kw window A/C unit, and close the bloody door, ya foo.

P.S: It's "eradication"

P.P.S: Or try a window fly trap such as:

Rescue FTD-DB12 Disposable Fly Control Trap with Attractant $4 online Catches Common Nuisance and Filth Flies Includes House Flies - Blow Flies - Flesh Flies - Face Flies and Others Powder Attactant Is Contained Within The Trap Itself Attractant Dissolves and Activates Quickly When Water Is Added To The Bag Trap Design Eliminates Touching The Bait Or The Flies Completely Disposable

is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So is this a riddle?

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Just a whimsical way of complaining about a fly... but if you want to use it as such have fun.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Gerald Ross wrote in news:DtWdne6tnMkQ3rDTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh! Is that why Bill Pentz recommends the 6" hose for dust collection? To make it easier to catch flying insects?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4e2d681f$0$19582$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Glad you clarified that. I couldn't figure out what I should be doing different to prevent a carbide tooth flying off my saw from hitting my sensitive parts (eyes, fingers and such - the other stuff I don't care about anymore - hmpfff).

Reply to
Han

Irradication is the same as eradication, except it is done with tiny nuclear devices.

Reply to
Robatoy

the size of a carbide tooth and just as shiny. The shiny part got me, Idon't see many shiny flys. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On 7/25/2011 8:45 AM, Leon wrote: ...

I don't see much shine on carbide, typically, either... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I have a ring made of tungsten carbide and it shines like a new penny. After a week or wearing it the thought hit me:--if I injure the finger and they need to cut the ring off, how will they do it? I'm serious. A standard ring cutter uses a wheel with teeth like hacksaw teeth. Would a big bolt cutter break it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Generally tool carbide isn't so highly polished as would be jewelry, though...

As for the latter question I've no firm knowledge of how an EMT would deal w/ it but I'm sure they would figure it out...

Reply to
dpb

Shouda looked it up first. Duh! They use a pair of vise-grips. Nice video on U-tube.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

You need to clean you blade!

Reply to
Leon

Brand new picture and the carbide tips are far less "shiny" than the teeth they're attached to...

Reply to
dpb

I only use Forrest blades. The carbide does indeed have a shine if not a bit of sparkle when clean and new. A picture is not going to show squat.

Reply to
Leon

I don't use "only" Forrest blades but I certainly have some in the collection.

The picture "squat" shows there's little light reflection from the carbide tips relative to the blade body and teeth...else't if they were "shiny" they would be the brights, not the darks.

--

Reply to
dpb

Even a diamond is not going to sparkle or shine with out proper light.

Try this on, it is my never been cleaned or resharpened 8 month old WWII. The clean resharpened ones reflect even more. Notice the tooth near the bottom. That is a reflection of the fluorescent lamp over head. While the camera picture does not show it with the bare eye you can see the direction that the lamps run in the reflection. Because the teeth have flat surfaces the light has to be just right to see the shiny surface.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

We've got two (at least) colors of flies around here. One is your standard black housefly (fruit fly?) and the other has a shiny gold back (a rich one?).

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 7/25/2011 2:24 PM, Leon wrote: ...

And, which reinforces the point--it takes a specific set of lighting conditions hence it's not at all unusual that the other poster to whom I responded also doesn't notice that there's much "shiny" on a carbide tip.

It's the same type of lighting selection that is used to make ordinary steam from stacks or cooling towers frighten the gullible--in general the blade looks much like the marketing picture I linked to rather than anything else...

--

Reply to
dpb