Shop Cabinet Door

No kidding ... and it is almost impossible to start a jig saw "plunge cut" without some offcut/material sacrifice.

Without some practice, doing it with a circular saw is not all the straightforward either.

This is another one of those tasks where an actual _plunge_ saw excels ... go figure. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Made!

Reply to
Leon

How could you have missed all fifty threads in which we've discussed them over the past 2 years, Mike? Crikey!

-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe they're just an agreed to project to keep on the good side of customers?

Reply to
Dave

I can't wait to see how Leon incorporates his pinned Domino construction into them.

Reply to
Dave

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:27:29 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Little need to do much looking. It's one of the area where Festool track saws excel. Admittedly, DeWalt track saws also have the same capability.

Reply to
Dave

And the patch still on the other one, eh, Matey? Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!

-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

With a jig saw, it helps to sharpen the tip. You really have to pull forward while plunging to help stop it from pushing forward. I've done it and can get it pretty clean most of the time, but it's not something I'd want to "have to" do.

Reply to
-MIKE-

??? Can't say I have ever had a problem with a finish sticking to any thing to the point that it was a problem... Then again my finishes go on thin and absolutely with out runs. I use Gel varnishes and can varnish one side. immediately flip it and put it down on the work surface to do the other side.

Reply to
Leon

They are already done and I think IIRC used brad nails and glue. LOL

Reply to
Leon

> Chicken coops? That's a little bit out of your field aren't they?

I think he builds them for a strength building exercise. Like lifting a house.

Reply to
Leon

>>> Chicken coops? That's a little bit out of your field aren't they?

I don't think Dave understands that those little things go for between $600 and $900 apiece. There's a decent profit in them, thanks to the Yuppies.

-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When, during Texas summers? Waterlox takes 15 minutes to dry to the touch, but I wouldn't dream of tipping a freshly finished piece on a finished side even then. Are you talking about cabinet sides which will be screwed together?

-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Any time of year and any piece, cabinet sides inner and outer sides, door fronts and backs, totally covered in one application per coat.

Now mind you I don't let them stay against a particular flat surface while curing, only during application. After application I typically stand them up on the floor and leaning up against an object to let there be full ventilation on all sides. I might be working on 15~20 pieces at one time.

Reply to
Leon

-MIKE- wrote in news:jnigr0$867$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I wonder if cutting a thinner slot using something like the HF multitool then plunging the jigsaw into that slot would help things out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Of course, the easiest way to avoid the need for plunging is to make one continuous cut. I could round the corners and avoid the whole plunging issue all together. I'm reasonably certain the jigsaw will cut a penny- sized curve without trouble.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Kerf size is different isn't it?

So, how you planning to start the cut without marring either the cutout and/or the remaining "frame"?

Depends upon the quality of level of cut you're willing to settle for.

Even with a good jig saw you are most likely going to have to dress up both sides of the cut around both the door and the remaining cabinet "frame", meaning your gap may get bigger than you originally intended ... and IME, it's hard to do that cleanup in a consistent manner with regard to material removed.

If you're willing to settle for an inset gap of say +/- 1/4" (or more), a top of the line well setup jig saw with new blades, and enough material on hand to burn few attempts, will most likely work ... but you may still be dissatisfied with the overall gap consistency from door to door on project involving other than just a one-off door and frame.

Obviously, and I'm not being condescending, you will want to do some practice runs and jig up for the job.

AAMOF, any jig/feature you can cobble up that will keep your jig saw running straight, true, and perpendicular (if that's what you want) to the surface will increase your chances of success immeasurably and may well be the key(s) to the kingdom.

Certainly worth a try to see what your equipment, and your jig making skills can accomplish ... who knows, there may never be anything other than a jig saw necessary to your future woodworking successes. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:cvydnbhBZaj9GgDSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes. (That's also the problem with plunging with a circular saw and finishing with a jigsaw.)

However, the multitool kerf should be smaller than the jigsaw, so that initial slot can be used as a guide for the jigsaw blade to plunge straight. It's like drilling a 1/16" hole before drilling a much larger hole.

I can start at the bottom and cut around. There's already a shelf installed, the cabinet frame will be built on top of that.

Since it's shop furniture, I always attempt to get the best quality cut but accept much less.

I can use the same aluminum guide for the jigsaw as I do the circular saw. Cutting curves would be a bit of an issue for a jig, but I'll probably freehand those.

There's only going to be 4 doors, so using anything more than the guide probably wouldn't be worth it.

I trust the saw to run straight and true, I've used it in the past and it's always done it. Any mistakes are my fault. Good tools are the first key to woodworking success. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Multitool fine blade on both edges of the kerf.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Different locale, different perspectives I guess. A couple of months back there was a drive by a group wanting legalize chicken raising in the Toronto area. It was shot down in a pile of feathers.

Dave

"Let them grow tomatoes.", eh?

The pious and unmitigated arrogance manifested in the quotes from those two committee MF's is reprehensible to the max.

The folks in Austin are largely progressives, but apparently with a lot less tolerance to allowing busybodies to rule their lives.

Thought I would never say this, but you just made me a lot prouder of our touchy, feely progressives here in Texas ... bless their little pea picking liberal hearts.

Reply to
Swingman