shellac application

How many coats of shellac (white shellac) do I need to apply to get good vapour blocking from MDF underneath?

Do I sand between coats?

Thanks for the help.

Brandt

Reply to
brandt

Depends on how thick you are applying it and how much you've thinned the shellac with alcohol. You don't need to sand except for appearances sake. Shellac will stick to itself quite well, regardless of how glossy it gets.

David

brandt wrote:

Reply to
David

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (brandt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

white shellac is used as a primer under one or more paint coats, right? Zinsser BIN product in the US.

Two good coats should suffice. Sand only if you need to level under the topcoat.

Now if we're discussing something else...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I've been using two coats of 2lb shellac on my projects. MDF shouldn't make a difference.

Reply to
Rolling Thunder