Shelf span

I'm building a hanging bookshelf out of 3/4 birch plywood.

My shelf depth is almost 12" and the width is about 33". I'm also glueing and nailing 1x2 poplar strips on the front to make the shelves look a little beefier and to make them more sturdy. Is this enough to keep them from sagging?

I also plan on nailing on the backing directly into the backs of the shelves just for a litlre mor hold.

Thanks

Reply to
rolsonDesign

Depends on what you want to put on the shelves. For books, I think

3/4" will be adequate for a 33" span.

If you are using a 1x2 in front, as long as it is standing on its shorter edge, it will help add to the capacity. Apart from giving you some shear resistance, I doubt nailing the backing will do anything to improve loading.

Reply to
Rajeev

Depends on what you want to put on the shelves. For books, I think

3/4" will be adequate for a 33" span.

If you are using a 1x2 in front, as long as it is standing on its shorter edge, it will help add to the capacity. Apart from giving you some shear resistance, I doubt nailing the backing will do anything to improve loading.

Reply to
Rajeev

Come on this is too easy.

Try

can't believe of all the times I've seen this link posted, this time I get to post it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You got here about 30 minutes ahead of me. :-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

I made a top for a built in desk about 30 years ago which featured the same basic design. However, the span on mine is 48 inches. The top is very solid indeed. The 1/4 inch backing is very strong in the vertical direction. So, I doubt that you will have trouble. Jim

Reply to
Jim