Shed roof question

"Is there a "common' aesthetic when it comes to roofs "

Short answer "Look around you!" See "what's common" in your area/

Fellow with the idea of mimicking your house had a good suggestion. We did that with a shed once and copied the windows, shingles and even the same vinyl siding. From a distance, it looked like a part of the house itself.

Who are you looking to please?

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

But you would not get the oil running out of the lock down the shed door.

Seriously; even the weather resistant/proof locks need a little help after hanging on the shed door for several years.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I did the same with my shed. All my neighbors want one. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

I built a pool/gardening shed (8' x 12') that included a 2' porch on one end. Classy. Dang porch swing didn't work worth spit though.

elegance is my most important product, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Get a piece of scrap rubber (a piece of an old tire intertube will work) and attach it to the door covering the padlock.

Reply to
Nova

Hang a flap of inner tube rubber over the lock. No problems.

Or do like I did - put a REAL door and lock kit on the shed, protected by overhang, just like the front door on the house. (even same key)

Reply to
clare

"All my neighbors want one. =A0:-)"

In my case, it was built for my son-in-law's new home and a neighbor complained to the Association because it (with "porch") exceeded the maximum allowable size/footprint (not sure which as I got story second hand) provided for in the rulles.

The association had to come and inspect it before voting on whether it would have to be removed/rebuilt. They did, and then went back and voted to grant him an exception because it was so well done!

Was we ever proud!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

No.

That said, out-buildings tend to 'look funny' if they are taller than their widest dimension.

It depends on locale.

As with house roofs, if you're looking at snow loads measured in feet, the requirements are far different than if you're just shedding water.

The simplest guideline is 'make it high enough to store the tallest thing you'll put in the shed'. :)

Some people like to store stuff -- either 'long', or 'bulky but lightweight' types -- "overhead". This calls for a higher roofline than if everything will sit on the floor, or shelves.

If you're using shelving, consider where the top shelf will be, and how much clearance you'll have between there and the roof.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi