Setting the reveal on inset drawers

Hello everyone,

I just finished my first crack at drawers using blind dovetails. My problem is I have too much reveal on the top and was wondering if anyone knew how or what I can do to split the reveal between the top and bottom. Currently the inset drawer is flush on the bottom and about a 3/16 gap on top. The sides are ok with about a 1/32 reveal.

Thanks in advance, V

Raise the drawer slides or build up the bottoms of the drawers with thin hard wood strips.

Reply to
Leon

Assuming you have standard drawers with no mechanical slides, you'll need to build up either the bottom of the drawers or the surface that the drawers slide on with 3/32 of veneer.

In order to reduce the chances of this happening in the future, one possibility is to build the drawer to fit the opening tightly, then plane it down just enough to fit. The bottom of the drawer front can be planed at an angle to set the bottom reveal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Excellent advise.

Reply to
Leon

Advice

Reply to
Leon

Another method to get a nice bottom reveal on inset drawers that sit on a web/dust frame:

Set table saw blade (regular kerf) height to desired reveal and snug against a sacrificial fence. Run drawer through, right side up, with the drawer front against the fence.

The resulting "dado", in the bottom front edge of the drawer, makes a nice bottom reveal and you can fine tune by adjusting blade height/distance from fence on subsequent passes if necessary.

Not neander, but quick and easy ...

Reply to
Swingman