Serious Collectors

Is there anyone here who is a serious collector of old woodworking magazines, books or other such publications?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

What do you mean by "serious" and "other such publications"?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I have the first issue of Fine Woodworking. Does that count?

RicodJour

Was that the one with pictures of Noah's Ark in the Readers Gallery the review of the Festool Adz that cost 1,000 sheckles?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Do I detect someone who thinks he can retire and live well by selling his boxes of old mags, Sonny? Rotsa ruck!

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not at all. About 2 yrs ago, I inherited an old shop. Within the cache are a few old Rockwell hardcover books: 1) The Rockwell Router,

2) Shaper and 3) Lathe. I think there may be a 4th book in my shop. Also, there are the 1963 thru 1967 copies of Flying Chips, a Rockwell magazine/pamphlet, issued every 2 months. All issues, for each year noted, has been bound by the previous owner.

RicodJour, are you seriously collecting any old mags and such, or just happen to have that first issue?

I'm not just going to hand these over to someone who will sell them on Ebay or somewhere. Hell, I can do that. I want to give them to someone who will take care of them as part of a bonafided collection.

I am not a collector, so I was to give them, not sell them, to whomever is a true collector. I suppose there are none here.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have complete collections - stopping a while back - of Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding. Great mags, but I'm too much of a collector with too much stuff and in fact am looking to get rid of both sets. I read about fourth (and eleventh) dimensions, but until I can start storing some of my stuff there, they're useless to me.

If you're looking to off-load them for free to someone into the magazines/whatever, try contacting your local woodworking club, or post an Offer on Freecycle.org. I have a lot of stuff that I don't want to waste and throwaway, but it's too much trouble (and not enough) money to sell them on eBay or Craigslist, so I use Freecycle to find a good homes for them.

RicodJour

I'm not just going to hand these over to someone who will sell them on Ebay or somewhere. Hell, I can do that. I want to give them to someone who will take care of them as part of a bonafided collection.

Don't donate them to the school..... we did that with about 25 years of National Geeographic, The school was excited to the the magazines, the art departmen was especially excited.

Reply to
Leon

Not at all. About 2 yrs ago, I inherited an old shop. Within the cache are a few old Rockwell hardcover books: 1) The Rockwell Router,

2) Shaper and 3) Lathe. I think there may be a 4th book in my shop. Also, there are the 1963 thru 1967 copies of Flying Chips, a Rockwell magazine/pamphlet, issued every 2 months. All issues, for each year noted, has been bound by the previous owner.

RicodJour, are you seriously collecting any old mags and such, or just happen to have that first issue?

I'm not just going to hand these over to someone who will sell them on Ebay or somewhere. Hell, I can do that. I want to give them to someone who will take care of them as part of a bonafided collection.

Try Sotheby's.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

RicodJour wrote in news:0f50959b-2a26-452b- snipped-for-privacy@v23g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

Just use the old NTSC TV trick: Store only half of the items one second, then store the other half the next. You may get a few interlace lines every now and again, but just don't store anything in the same space as the tool you're using. It'd be terrible for the TS blade to suddenly be halfway replaced with a jigsaw.

Let me know it it works... lol

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

There probably are, but the lead-in sounded fishy to some of us old curmudgeons. My apologies.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques