Saving a dead cordless

I have an old (8 years?) 9.6 v Cordless DeWalt drill. Long ago the batteries reached the point where they would not hold any type of charge. I considered buying new batteries but they cost almost as much as a new drill. The drill has been taking up space the last couple of years and I am in the middle of a cleaning out session. Anybody have any suggestions on reviving or saving it? Hate to just put it in the trash (goes against my nature). Don't want to waste money on it either.

Oswin

Reply to
Bob Beauter

"Bob Beauter" wrote in news:B53Ch.11360$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.lga:

Have the batteries rebuilt at one of the "Batrees-R-Us" places. They just open up the shell and replace the cells inside. If you can find the right place, you can save as much as half the price of new batteries. Many people report better performance than with a new battery. I was going to do this with my last batch of batteries, but found new ones for 75% off. Couldn't beat it.

Reply to
Steve

innews:B53Ch.11360$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.lga:

I can recommend Primecell

They are not particularly cheap (maybe 25% less that new batteries, but for that price they'll upgrade to the latest battery technology (NiMH for my 12V DeWalt XRP)) and modify the circuit to work with your stock charger. They rock! (and seem to run forever).

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

I've seen this podcast, but I have no idea if it works, if it's safe, etc.

TO - Revive Nicad batteries by zapping with a welder

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I had the same problem with a 15 yr.. old dewalt 12V cordless drill. The drill worked just fine but the batteries were shot. I found replacements (new) for a faction of the cost on eBay. Good luck

Monty

Reply to
Monty Chin