Sauna walls - nordic spruce or aspen - which is better?

In two days I'm going to buy sauna. I've heard that I can choose sauna walls to be made of aspen or nordic spruce. Which is better? What king of wood is better for seats: abache or aspen?

Please, could you answer my questions?

Thank you in advance

Best wishes,

Tommco

Reply to
Tommco

First of all, don't buy a sauna - build one.

My research says that most Finnish saunas use Nordic White Spruce for the walls.

Abache is the choice of the well-monied for benches, as its speciifc heat makes for a more comfortable seat - but I don't have the bucks for that, so I'm going to use Western red cedar. Some people like redwood, but I find it too splintery to use for benches.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Hello Tommco, I am located in Maine and used Eastern White Cedar for the walls and benches. It has worked out very well. The wood was purchased from a local sawmill and was put up without drying. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Lots of Finns here, and they use Aspen for the seats. No splinters, lower temp on your tush as you sit.

Be sure all fasteners are covered!

Reply to
George

I AM a Finn. My sauna was made with cedar. That lower temp thing for aspen or popple is horse-hockey. The bad thing about aspen is you'll get a white mold on the bottom of your seating area. With cedar you won't. Above the stove, and behind the seating area, on the ceiling/wall, make a 45 degree piece to help the steam "roll" around the room. Get that? While wood fired stoves are traditional, I have a 8K electric one. I'm very satisfied with it. Your rocks will never get "cold" with an electric stove as they will with a wood fired stove. Try to make your top shelf seating area wide enough for a minimum of

4 people.
Reply to
Nortwoods

Then you ought to know better.

Low density and random fiber direction are the reason, should you stop and think.

Reply to
George

Which cedar ? There's a bunch of them, and some aren't timbers I'd like to be too close too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley