sanning veneer

I just cut some lacewood to make some "veneer" (it's not really, but that's the best way to describe it). The problem I have is how to now sand out the marks left by the band saw. The pieces are about 3/4" wide, 4 1/4" long, and just under 1/16" thick. I've got a belt dander, a 1/4-sheet hand sander and a 5" ROS. Final thickness is not really an issue. Pictures posted on the binaries group. Any ideas?

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

I'd be inclined to use a hand plane to smooth one side, glue it down, and then either use a plane or scraper to clean up the other side. Depending on how thick the stock is a simple stop or double sided tape can be used to hold the work.

I typically smooth the chunk of wood after each cut so that I have one smooth side on each slice. That way there is only one rough side that can be clean up after gluing...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

card scraper.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:RsydnQzes8D7EfTVnZ2dnUVZ_r snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

How do you hold a 1/16 thick piece of wood to plane it?

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:d3d9b7d5-1636-4c3b-9f1a-1b4cf7955422 @s33g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

How do you hold a 1/16 thick piece of wood to scrape it? And if you use double-sided tape to hold it down, how do you get it back up again w/o splitting or otherwise ruining the wood?

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

One way to do it is to cut one piece of veneer on the bandsaw then run the stock through the jointer or thickness planer to smooth out the face before running the stock through the bandsaw again. Then you can glue the smooth face down and deal with the rough face later with a sander/scraper.

RicodJour

with a fairly thick veneer like this it's easy enough to hold it with one hand while scraping with the other, if you want to smooth it a bit before gluing it down. as long as your bandsaw is tuned up well enough that you are getting reasonably consistent thickness slices it shouldn't be a problem to smooth them after glue up.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

As John said, "Depending on how thick the stock is a simple stop or double sided tape can be used to hold the work."

I haven't tried this, but if you had some rubber non-slip material you can use underneath it - similar to the cloths you can put on a dashboard so your cellphone won't slip.

My MIY had some rubber disks used as jar openers, and she placed it underneath a cutting board so it doesn't slip.

Another idea - I made a simple jig to hold the Shapton GlassStones. It might be adaptable to planing thin stock. It had two stops, but was wider than the material. I then took another piece of wood and cut it at a diagonal, making two triangle-shaped wedges. I then tapped the triangles together on the sides to wedge the item to the stops.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I bought this no-slip rubber for my router. It was much bigger than I needed so I've used pieces of it for other applications where I don't want something to slip.

Upscale

  1. Put wood on flat surface
  2. Hold one end with thumb
  3. Scrape from thumb end to other end
  4. Reverse
  5. Sheesh!

_______________

All you need is a small piece of tape under either end so...

  1. Pry it up
  2. soften adhesive with naptha (lighter fluid)
Reply to
dadiOH

what you DON'T want is a flexible surface under the veneer you're scraping.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

As another writer suggested, you can also hold it down with your fingers/thumb and plane/scrape one end at a time. For a while I thought I was the only one to use "finger" clamps for planing and scraping until I watched Garrett Hack do it at my club's shop. It's easier than you'd think!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks to everyone that answered my question. Even though you were incapable of reading the original post where I listed the tools on-hand, which did not include a scraper, I appreciate the effort you made.* My birthday of Friday and I'm heading to my brother's in Dallas to celebrate. One stop along the way will be at the Woodcraft in Addison on Thursday to buy a new scraper. I may also have to stop at the drug store later for a box of band-aids (grin).

*yeah, I'm not the huggy-kissy kind of orc.
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Easiest scraper substitute is a piece of glass with a straightedge.

the wrap - I'm not in a TinyURL frame of mind. ;)

RicodJour

I read your original post. the tools you had on hand were inadequate.

the tool you want is a card scraper. a thin flat piece of steel about the size and shape of an index card. Woodcraft has them for $9:

in order for it to work you'll have to learn to sharpen it. sharpening of card scrapers is a bit different from sharpening most other things. here's a pretty good write-up on the process:

Reply to
bridgerfafc

innews:RsydnQzes8D7EfTVnZ2dnUVZ_r snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Holdfast.

Plane in one direction only, away from the holdfast of course.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Using only the tools on hand, and assuming you have some scrap wood on hand, you can wrap sandpaper around a hunk of 2 x 4 and use that with one hand while holding one end down with the other, sanding in long straight strokes in one direction only.

I think you'll find the scraper to be much more fun.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt