sanding molding

How can I sand molding on a door to remove the paint that's on it. The molding is pretty detailed. Thanks

Reply to
topdog

getting paint off of moldings is a pain. it's gonna involve some combination of scrapers that you make that match the shapes of the molding, heat in the form of hot air from a heat gun or careful use of a propane torch, chemical strippers and sanding. all of these have their disadvantages- for instance it's difficult to avoid rounding the edges with sandpaper. getting good results can be frustrating and slow.

if you can remove the moldings and replace them with new it's often worth doing.

Reply to
bridger

A step in he right direction. I live in an almost century house. io removed all of th wood [carefully], took it outside, across two supports, and removed all the old varnish with TSP, scrubbing, and then washing it off with water. Paint remover is good too.

Getting back on pre-painted is also an advantage. Don't wait too long to fill, sand and paint over the nail-hole filler.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

With these:

They work GREAT!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Have you looked into having it dip stripped??? I've never done it, but it seems to be a decent alternative --->sometimes How can I sand molding on a door to remove the paint that's on it.

Reply to
Mark L.

When I bought my first house the front door was a moonscape of layers of pitted coats of paint. I took it in and had it 'dip stripped'. All the paint was removed, but it left the surface as hairy as a coconut (well, not quite, but it was fuzzy as hell). So I still had a lot of sanding to do. This was in 1973, maybe the chemicals are less harsh now.

Reply to
Lee K