Router guide bushings: steel vs brass

Are there any strong feelings in the group about choice of material for router guide bushings, other than the obvious: steel can rust but is stronger; brass looks nicer, and doesn't rust, but is more easily bent?

Are the various offerings of PC-compatible bushings of comparable quality?

Thanks!

Chuck

Reply to
chuck

Chuck,

While this may not prove out scientifically, the brass guide bushings seem to slide with less friction when I use them with aluminum straight edges and corner templates (while doing solid surface materials). I have both steel and brass guides of the same diameter and prefer the brass. I've not bent either one, but these are not used in a commercial setting, so perhaps, my shop is not a typical one.

Got the brass guide at woodcrafter and the steel one part of a Porter Cable set.

Reply to
TEF

Brass operate, tighten, and loosen much more smoothly.

Reply to
Leon

guide bushings,

Another thing to consider is the hardness of the material - brass is softer than steel, so it should do less damage to a bit or blade if one were to somehow hit the guide. Seems unlikely, but just in case? Andy

Reply to
Andy

Brass, for two reasons--one related to the other.

One, brass will not damage your router bits when (not if) they come in contact when the nut loosens (as it will if steel--see next);

Two, brass nut will hold its grip when hand tightened. It's a phenomenon of the material which I have not seen a good explanation for, although several friends who have metallurgy experience confirm the characteristic.

I bought mine from Jesada, back when Carlo was running it and it was a reliable company to do business with. Lee Valley has them, I believe. They're worth looking for, in my opinion.

Reply to
LRod

The term is "stiction", a contraction of "static friction".

Reply to
Greg Neill

I thought it was gription.

Reply to
Stephen M

Mine are from PC and are made of aluminum. Bending and distorting them has not been a problem, for me, they only move easily in the dovetail jig.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

PC brand steel for this wood/metal worker. If cut to PC specs, the numbers are a little tighter. Have seen too many brass out of spec, especially flange O.D.

Do they loosen? Have not had that happen, I use the pliers at the

pix link tho. Brass, indeed, is more fragile.

(Routers)

Reply to
pat

I've never bent a brass guide. They slide easier on dovetail and staircase templates. They polish up like new after a couple of years of job-site use. My steel guides are somewhere out in the shop with white and rusty corrosion all over them. I'd give them away if I could find them.

Most importantly, when you push that 1/4" bit too hard, you will see no sparks with brass.

Tom in KY, I know exactly where my brass guides are.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Before getting caught up in any "router expert" war on recommendations, my post regarding brass was based on what I learned from watching Bob Rosendahl on PBS' "The Router Workshop."

Reply to
LRod

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I had been leaning toward the brass and there seem to be no show-stopping problems among users so I will pick up a set of them.

Chuck

LRod wrote:

Reply to
chuck