Ridgid ROS 2610 Modification.

Mirka from Finland, makes, IMHO, the best sandpaper on the planet. (I fabricate solid surface countertops as a source of income. My sanding requirements are somewhat different than most, but this stuff works great om wood too!!) The stuff is called Abranet and the abrasive particles are adhered to a screen. It doesn't load, and the suction of a good sander keeps it nice and clean. And the stuff lasts and lasts. The Ridgid has a basic 6" 6-hole velcro pad and Abranet works fine with that, but Mirka has a pad with way more holes (about 20) which adapts to a standars six-hole machine. I did the mod to my Ridgid. ( A pic is posted on ABPW) and the result is, in one word, pretty damned good. Now, the Mirka pad that I bought ( 906 GV) has a stud (5/16-24) and that's fine for a PC, but the Ridgid (Metabo) takes a bolt. So I drilled the sunnavabitch out and made'r work that way. I had to use a 35mm flat bottom hinge boring bit to make room for the spindle, but with some dicking, I have the result I'm after. Metabo now offers a pad like that which will fit your Ridgid so you can use Abranet. It's a 14 hole deal. (item

102-111_plate-_orbit_disc-_orbital-_belt-_sanders.pdf) which you can find here:
as much fun as mounting a Stax tone arm on a Lin Sondek. but...

So a guy takes his wife to a fancy restaurant and orders a thick porterhouse steak...rare. The waiter asks: "What about the mad cow?" The guy replies: "She'll have the salmon."

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

JGS

Yup, that's the one. I think it's about 23-25 US dollars. Once set up, you're on a whole new system. The Abranet disks aren't cheap, but last a LOT longer..so they are cost-effective. Around 70¢ a sheet. Hook up a 10 gallon ShopVac with a yellow bag, and you're good to go. I refinish solid surface countertops in people's homes without any dust barriers. I use the Festool Rotex now, but from a dust-control standpoint, the Ridgid is every bit as good. (It just doesn't have the balance and mechanical prowess(balls) during the initial 120 grit cuts as the Festool.)

luck.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to