rescuing a table surface

Have a much loved low table, which is well made; 'but' it has an imitation wood grain formica top that is now quite worn. It's quite a big table and I have often looked out for a nice thin sheet of wood to lay over the formica, but have never seen anything for sale. (in North London, U.K.).

The Formica seems to have worn in rather an unattractive way, with lots of small patches of matt finish and the rest quite shiny. I'm thinking of sanding the whole thing to get an overall matt finish with a fine grade 'wet and dry' carburundum paper, although I dont know whether this is advisable?

Any other suggestions on what I might do with the formica top? (no rude ones, I know this group is for wood work.... but hey I need help here). Thanks.

Reply to
JWBH

A heat gun and a 3" spatula are your friends for this one.

Remove the old Formica, sand surface flat and apply a new piece of Formica.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I believe your problem here is not how to remove the existing Formica and replace it with more Formica. If I also read you correctly, it would be too costly to replace it with some sort of veneer.

I would recommend sand>Have a much loved low table, which is well made; 'but' it has an imitation

Reply to
Glenn

[...]
[...]

Make shiny areas matt: steel wool, fine grade sandpaper, deglosser?

Cover top Hard enamel paint? wood laminate. If you like to look of the table, try going with the paste wax. Better to try and protect/match the worn area than risk sanding through the formica "picture". Text the wax in a small area... not sure how the solvants will interact with formica.

good luck!

Reply to
flip+