repairing charred cabinet door

Hello,

I have a cabinet door that was slightly damaged in a fire. The door is only blackened at the bottom and bottom part of the front of the door. The door is intacted and in great condition considering. What would be the best way to remove the black char and get it looking like it did before the fire?

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
Kyle

It has to be planed or scraped away. How depends on how deep it is. Sanding is probably not going to remove enough material but you can try it if it seems superficial and only about 1/32" deep. If you have to take more, a block plane would be a good start.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Some of the door could easily be sanded as it is only a little blackened, but I will also need a plan. A trip to Lowes will add one to my toolbox. Is their something that I could use to clean the door? I don't want to use water, but maybe mineral sprits, rubbing alcohol, or something?

Thanks,

Reply to
Kyle

Damn, my crystal ball is on the blink..

Help us out here.. is it a painted or natural finish door?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis