Reinforcing workbench

Some years ago I used antique oak flooring, flattened and surfaced, to make a workbench top. The actual flooring strips ended up being only 3/4" in wi dth once the tongue and groove was removed. These strips were glued face to face, and yes, it was a lot of strips, so workbench top thickness is only

3/4". However, the surrounding aprons were made of 8/4 red oak planks with floating dovetail corners. Once glued up took to cabinet shop and they sand ed topside smooth. All in all looks good.

Now the problem. Fast forward to now, the top is slowing bending, and seemi ngly due to a heavy, all wood, handmade shoulder vice on the right front co rner. A standard vice is attached to the front left corner and that section seems to be holding.

Question is without tearing it all down, how do I reinforce it? Options are to bolt another apron piece on, perhaps 8x6, but that is expensive. Anyone know of a way to reinforce from underneath, knowing the actual top is only 3/4 thick? I can have it re-leveled once it is reinforced..any ideas?

Chris

Reply to
cc

When you say "reinforce" it from underneath, do you mean AND bend the top back to the way it was? By 8x6, do you mean an 8-foot, 6 by 2? Picture is worth a thousand words. You say you don't want to tear it all down, but it sounds like it needs minor surgery.

Reply to
Bill

it's only 3/4 why not put some stiff stringers the length of it, how stiff and how many depends on what's needed to make and keep it straight, level it, drill and bolt and glue the stringers and you're done. 2x4 should be fine but it depends

other option is to add another 3/4 to the top, flip it over so the weight is on top and glue and bolt on

Get the new piece level on the floor then flip the bench over glue and clamp then when dry flip right side up and add bolts

Reply to
Electric Comet