Redneck dust collection?

My local PBS station finally got back to non-fund raising programming and Norm was on yesterday. He was making the "monk library table" or what ever it was called. Anyway he went to visit his source for southern yellow pine and then was taken by that fellow to see part of the process to get these old timbers back to usable condition. I like segments like those and enjoyed this one too. I did notice however a unique form of dust collection being employed in this Georgia location. The old over 20 inch wide planer was by the open door of the shop and the hood was missing. The camera guy seemed to like the view of the blades as they whirled around. As the guy fed a sample piece of the reclaimed yellow pine through this old monster, the chips flew straight up out of the top. Then they were blown out the door by a large fan behind to operator. No collection hood, just a good stiff breeze!! This is made all the more interesting by the fact that this old timber could have a nail or some other non-wood projectile in it. Did anyone else notice this arrangement?

FWIW I am not bashing Norm or the fellow who ran the shop. I would love to have access to that type of wood myself.

Reply to
Nut Tree

That's my system, I just open the garage door and blow the dust out into the driveway. Then I sweep it off in the grass. (recycling). About the only thing it really accomplishes is keeping the dust away from the laundry, behind my fans but that keeps the wife happy. I still have to sweep out the floor under the TS. I sand in the driveway under a big beach umbrella. I was doing that in the garage and it was a real mess.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I stole it from Tom's Cypress in Waldo Florida (slow down). This guy makes sawdust 55 gallons at a time sanding down table tops with the biggest belt sander I have ever seen (the belt is at least 10' long)

Reply to
Gfretwell