Re: What is it? LXXIV

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: ...

429) I presume that there are also partitions between the cavities > exposed by twisting the head. > > I think that this is for sampling something, grain perhaps, at > various depths in a pile. You close the ports, shove it it, > rotate it to open and allow in samples, rotate it again to > close, and withdraw. > > There is probably a setup with equally-spaced containers to > receive all samples at the same time, prior to examination by > whatever means -- microscope, bare eyes, moisture tester, > whatever.

You got's it...grain sampler (or other dry material also possible). W/ grain samples anyway, the sub-samples are mixed before weight/moisture testing.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It's not used for sailing.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This is not much of an answer to me. What *kind* of race? Auto, horse, sailboat, foot, something else? What does it cut? Gougeing rings doesn't really clear it up for me.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think the name Race is not meant to infer any particular type of racing, but is probably just a name, possibly of the inventor. According to this site the knife was used in shipbuilding:

R.H.

More than likely the "race" is a context like a bearing race or similar--I don't know enough about boat-building to put in a teacup, but...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"R.H." wrote in news:qC7Le.55990$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Is it some sort of fishing net weight or downrigger weight?

Reply to
D Murphy

I guess this is close enough to call correct, it's a fisherman's trolley weight. It was designed to travel up and down the fishing line (controlled by a second attached line) to change the depth of baited hooks.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Marking heavy timbers with letters or numbers, typically used by boatbuilders and timberframers.

Ever notice that old barn frames were usually marked with Roman rather than Arabic numerals? One reason is that, until you get to C or D - whivch is a hell of a lot of joints - the Roman numerals are all straight lines. Much easier to cut with a chisel or gouge.

The race knife makes the curves easier, using the pivot and the end cutter. The side cutter is good for straight lines.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Thank you! This makes the use clear. I always want to know how a tool is used, on the off chance that I might have a use for it.

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols